Scribus Workflow for Cookbooks

Previous topic - Next topic

jebell01

hey everyone. i just need some general advice from the scribus community. im a newbie here.

i need to make cookbooks that will be about 160 to 200 pages (they are already word documents without typesetting).

i know the layout i want to follow. but what should my workflow be? i.e. where should i start?

should i make a masterpage for the left and right page with a bunch of text boxes then copy paste the text from word?

or would you recommend something else.

also what is your recommendation on dealing with ordered lists and bulleted lists?

overall its a lot of text im working with so i'm just trying to understand the most efficient method also the recipes do not have images.

thank you.  :D

Nermander

Master Pages in Scribus are just "page backgrounds", they are not "page templates".

What you should do is have a look at the scrapbook.

You should also set up your styles very early. They do not need to have their final look, but you want to use them from the start.

Copy and pasting text you will lose any formatting. I am not up to date with the current status of importing Word documents, but previously importing text has been a bit complicated when it comes to styles and text formatting.

jebell01

Quote from: Nermander on June 30, 2016, 08:47:33 AM
Copy and pasting text you will lose any formatting. I am not up to date with the current status of importing Word documents, but previously importing text has been a bit complicated when it comes to styles and text formatting.

Hey thanks for the quick reply.

I was not planning on trying to import the text from word directly into scribus using any built in functionality for importing.

My plan was to manually transfer the text from word into preset scribus text boxes by-hand through copy and pasting then applying styles.

I figured I would make a master page with the text boxes. Then clone the pages multiple times and start copy and pasting.

Just trying to figure out the most efficient method for doing something like this at scale. Thanks again.

Nermander

Quote from: jebell01 on June 30, 2016, 10:50:29 AM
I figured I would make a master page with the text boxes. Then clone the pages multiple times and start copy and pasting.

Use the scrapbook instead. The scrapbook can contain groups of elements,  when doubleclicking an item in the scrapbook the elements of that item is inserted onto the current page, in the position they had when they were sent to the scrapbook.

But I just forgot the most important tip: Do not start learning Scribus with a large and important project. Start with a smaller test project.