Gutter line in pdf

Previous topic - Next topic

Saar Philips

Hello there!

I'm making a portfolio that won't be printed. it is only for sending and watching on a screen. When exporting the scribus document to Pdf format, the gutter line (the line inbetween 2 pages that are side by side, is gutter line the right word for it?) remains visible. Is there a way how to delete this line?

Because it is for screen purpose only, i have placed images on this line, and it interferes with the page composition.

I hope someone can help me out, cause i've been looking for it during 2 hours and going slightly crazy now .. haha

Thanks in advance,

Saar

ps: english is not my main language, sorry for the mistakes  ;)

a.l.e

hi saar & welcome

no, it should not happen...

- have you checked any of the marks option in the pdf export?
- can you share a screenshot of the result?
- can you share a sample .sla (scribus document) with the matching .pdf?
- which version of scribus are you using?
- and are you using "file > export > save as pdf" for exporting to pdf?

mumble mumble mumble...
a.l.e

Saar Philips

hi a.l.e. ,

i think i've checked all the marks, but who knows i've missed something small
Sending you printscreens of both the .sla and .pdf file

using Scribus version 1.4.6 on windows xp

Yes, using the file export save as pdf (1.3 acrobat file)

i've been able to change the gutter line in the adobe reader program from a plain line to a dotted one, but can't delete it all together

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

hi saar,

can you please try the pdf i've attached and see if you also see the lines?
i don't see the lines in the pdf i've created from your .sla... but i do not have acrobat either...

ciao
a.l.e

Saar Philips

Hi a.l.e.

Thanks a lot, sadly though I can still see the dotted line in the pdf you created. In which program do you open your pdf's? Maybe it's my adobe reader program that doesnt support this function. Although i have someone else's portfolio here that doesn't have these lines, but it's created in Indesign.

i'm really puzzled over this  :)

a.l.e

it was created with scribus 1.4.

i wanted to check if it was something related with the way you're creating your pdf.
it's not the case.

i'm attaching now now a four empty pages pdf i've created from a new document.
if you see the lines here too
- it might be a scribus bug (but it's unlikely: other people would have been complaining about it!)
- otherwise it's a setting in acrobat that shows you the line.

et voilà...

Saar Philips

aha it's still visible!

i've checked every possible option in acrobat with different pdf files already, but maybe not well enough yet :D

thanks for all the help!

in case i solve it, i'll post it for who knows- someone else ever encounters the same

Nermander

In Adobe Reader X, in Preferences, I have a setting under Page Display and section Page Content and Information that is called Show art, trim and bleed boxes. I think that might be the setting.

Edit: No, maybe not, that gives you red and green lines...

a.l.e

buondì saar,

what you can also try, is creating a double sided pdf with office, open it with acrobat and see if the line is also there.

ciao
a.l.e

Saar Philips

Hey a.l.e.

i tried the office document, and it still is visible. it certainly must be the acrobat setting, but still i can not find it.
because this pdf file from a friend does not show the line.

i will just have to accept the line and hope on the gallerist's computer doesnt show  ;D

saar

edit: i also noticed another problem when opening it in browsermode instead of the adobe reader prog. The pdf doesnt show as a spread, only as a one page file.

in my asl file its a 2 page doc and when exporting it, i use the setting 'double page right'

do i make another mistake somewhere?

Nermander

I think the problem here is that any PDF viewer wants to show the user where the page borders are.

My solution would be to create the document on landscape pages of the size of two pages side by side. If the first and last pages are to be single pages I would make them separately. Scribus has no problems with different pages size for different pages.

Saar Philips

@Nermander: Great! That's exactly what i'll do, it solves all the problems at once. Thanks!

a.l.e

he he... that was also my next hint... with a slight difference:
since it's thought for viewing on screen, just make the whole document A4 landscape...

Saar Philips

hey a.l.e. and Nermander,

want to thank you guys for going on this journey with me  :)

All problems are solved now.. and it feels great!

Changed the pages to a3 and the first page into a4.

it still feels like a book, and the first page is nicely centered

sending you a printscreen

have a nice day, grtjs,

saar