How to join more scribus files into the book?

Previous topic - Next topic

Dida

I have seven scribus files. Each file is one chapter of the book. I want to join all these files into one book (about 280 pages), where the page numbers will flow from 1 to 280. Also, I want to make the table of contents for the whole book.
I am new Scribus user and I don't know if I can do this.

Thank you for any advice.
Kind regards,
Dida

GarryP

Welcome to the forum Dida.

You can import documents into other documents by using the "Page -> Import" function. However, if you have a lot of images in your chapters, you might come up against system memory issues (unless your machine can handle it, all you can do is try it and see what happens).

If you want to keep your chapters separate you can change the page numbers for each chapter by going to "File -> Document Setup" then go to the "Sections" section. Then change the "Start" value to the page number you want that chapter to start at. Obviously you'll need to do this in ascending chapter order so you know which page number to give each one. (After applying the change you may need to close then re-open the document to see it.)

To get Scribus to do a Table of Contents for the whole book you will need to have the whole book in the same document. Scribus can't - yet - handle a TOC across multiple documents. This page will show you how to create a TOC: https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Creating_a_Table_of_Contents (It's a little complicated at first but it works. Unfortunately there's not much you can change formatting-wise so sometimes it's best to do the TOC manually.)

I hope this has been helpful in some way.

Dida

Thank you Garry for your answer. TOC generator works fine.

Is it good or bad practice to have one text frame for the whole document? Is it better to use one text frame per page?

Have a nice day!  :)
Kind regards,
Dida

GarryP

Unless I've totally misunderstood what you're doing then I'd say it was very bad practice to use one text frame for the whole document.

Without seeing the book you're producing - but reading what you've said so far - I'd say that you might be better off using a word processor like LibreOffice Writer for something like this. It might make things much easier for you to do what you want. It's difficult to advise properly without more information.

Dida

Thank you, Garry! I am preparing the book with 7 chapters. I must prepare it for the print. After I arrange the text, photos and other details I will export the whole book as one PDF document.  PDF document is needed by the man in the printing shop.

Kind regards,
Dida

Nermander

Libre Office Writer can create PDF.

I see this very often: People who are using Scribus because they think it is the only way to get a PDF for print.