How to spell check in USA English?

Previous topic - Next topic

Lothar

I am running 1.4.6 in Win7: If I select a frame, and then hit Shift-F7, it spell checks but insists on UK English. If I change the drop-down to USA English, it reverts to UK English as soon as I go to the next word.

I have tried changing my Region and Language settings in the Control Panel, and restarted Scribus, but to no avail.

Nermander

Language is, if I dont recall wrong, not a property of the document, but a property of the text. This means you need to set it for each style. You can probably change the default, but that will only apply to newly created styles.

I don't think you can set language for a single frame... At least I could not find a language setting in the properties panel.

richardpaulhall

After struggling with this problem for many hours over many versions; I have a hack to solve the issue.
(NOT a workaround. A workaround uses the system to do what you want, generally for the wrong reason.)
(A hack is something that should be very temporary and easily undone.)

Find the various dictionaries and rename the UK dictionary to something else. I added 'real-' to the beginning of the file name. Then rename the US dictionary to that of the UK dictionary.

When this bug is fixed re-rename those two files.

a.l.e

please, don't follow richard's advice.

personally, i'm sure that hyphenation works correctly in each supported language and in both the stable and development versions.

can i ask you guys who care about it to submit a very simple .sla file with some text that does not hyphenate correctly in a specific language (and, obviously, tell us which is the language :-)

i will collect them and prepare instruction to configure scribus to get them correct! promised :-)

richardpaulhall

The topic was spell checking and not hyphenation.

I ran a number of experiments trying to get spelling dictionaries to make sense.
Nothing made sense, so I made a hack.

a.l.e

yes, my bad.

i probably wrote hyphenation and was thinking of spell checking.

my suggestion not to follow your hint still holds.
please, don't follow that advice and do not rename files that have been installed by the application or the system.

you can do it -- of course! -- as part of your personal research or hack (as richard was doing!), but don't do it because somebody wrote about it in the internets!

douglaszxc

I agree with Richard.
Also, you have to change the en_GB.aff to en_US.aff or words endings such as "ing" give strange results. Other weird results too.
I put all the other dictionaries in a not_used directory, lest the Martian English bork up my document.