Compatibilty Problems between Ubuntu and Windows

Previous topic - Next topic

ln_redaktion

Hey,
we use Scribus 1.5.4 on different computers which run half on Windows, half on Ubuntu.
After an upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04 to Ubuntu 20.04 we have some layout Problems. Apparently ubuntu changes the spacing between letters slightly so that in the end everything is shifted.
At first, we thought it was because Ubuntu 20.04 only runs Scribus 1.5.5, but on the Windows machine running Scribus 1.5.5, this problem does not occur.
We have checked all the line spacing and "glyph compression settings" in Scribus, it is identical on Windows and Ubuntu.
Do any of you know this problem? Do you have any ideas what we could check?
Attached you find a picture to clarify the problem.
(first time ever posting in a forum, sorry, if it is in the wrong one)
would be very happy about responses
greetz
Irene

[attachment deleted by admin]

AdmFubar

How does the printed output look? Try outputting that page as a pdf and compare.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

ln_redaktion

Hey,
thanks for the reply.
The PDF and the printed output look the same, ergo the problem is still there

AdmFubar

By the same you mean respective to the windows and linux screen output? If so then it is a font issue. Make sure you have the exact fonts installed on both machines.And make sure they are truly the exact fonts. Not just by name.
Advanced hobbyist

ln_redaktion

Hey, thank you.
Yeah, the issue is still there when its printed.
The fonts are installed all from the same source, so shouldnt it be the exact same font? How can I check if they are "truly the exaxt fonts"?
greetz

AdmFubar

Quote from: ln_redaktion on December 18, 2020, 05:33:29 PM
Hey, thank you.
Yeah, the issue is still there when its printed.
The fonts are installed all from the same source, so shouldnt it be the exact same font? How can I check if they are "truly the exaxt fonts"?
greetz
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Was in the hospital for a few days.
Took a very close look at the text. The windows version differs a bit about to line back in the text. There might be difference on where or how hyphenation is applied. I'd check this next.
Advanced hobbyist