Triangle icon meaning

Previous topic - Next topic

scribob

I have created a color list that relates to my work and printer test colors in  "Edit>>Colors" and saved as a color group name of my own making.

When working in a document and adding color to a square (for example), using the Colors tab (in the F2 "properties" popup) some of the colors have a triangle icon by their names and the colors are incorrect to what I set when creating them.

I have attached an image that has the "triangle icons" with orange or red perimeter and a yellow center. I have been searching and looked through my Scribus The Official Manual book and cannot locate a definition. Searched the Google and found nothing, yet. (Still searching.)

What does the "triangle icon" mean and why are those colors inaccurate?

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi scribob

colors, which aren't representable in the current output profile are marked with these triangles. (only when the color management is active)

utnik

scribob

Great, thanks. When I disabled "Color Management" the icons were gone and the colors appear correctly on the screen. (Now, I realize that I have more testing to do to confirm that the colors print correctly. That is next.)

Thanks . . . I have got a lot to learn . . . on to studying "Color Management."

Nermander

Quote from: scribob on April 06, 2016, 08:26:00 PM
and why are those colors inaccurate?

They are not inaccurate, they are (due to your settings) shown in the "Out of gamut" color. There is the possibility to turn of the "Out of gamut" color, but then you would get no warning that certain colors might not print correctly.

If you believe that Scribus incorrectly treats these colors as "Out of gamut", then your color profiles are not correct.

My advice is to not turn on color management unless you really know what you are doing. Bad color management usually gives worse results than no color management.

scribob

I think the key phrase of your post is " Bad color management usually gives worse results than no color management."

I now agree completely. Do NOT use 'color management' until the user knows what they are doing.

I am a newbie . . . I learn and I grow. Thanks linux and thanks for every ones help and suggestions.

Nermander

I've tried to learn color management for years, and while I can grasp the essence of it, I have realised that the only way to make sure it's working is to have solid tested color profiles. Because there really is no useful way to "test if it works".

I have looked for "An easy way to test if your color management works", but haven't found anything.

If things come out wrong, there is usually no way to tweak the result.