Moving a document

Previous topic - Next topic

founder

Moving a document to an other location, but there are many pathways to pictures.

This makes a reorganization of the folder structure complicate.

My wish: a function to copy a document to a new location changing all the pathways.
Founder of PEGE - Planetary Engineering Group Earth https://www.pege.org
Founder and CEO of https://gemini-next-generation.house

Nermander

Currently the best solution is probably to use Collect for output.

There is also the Image Manager that can be used to correct paths.

I think there are already feature requests regarding image paths (for example the possibility to set a path to absolute).

valerie

Years are passing and I still have the same problem.
Any solutions?
Not only the links do the pictures are lost every time I move the folder, but also all the information about size, position ect.
Any new features in scribus?

dragonfly

I have a thought that as a work around  image paths might be set as variables .. %VAR_image01path% .. and then ScribusGenerator.py script used to generate new object paths?

a.l.e

you have to use the collect for output function, if you want to move a document with its images.

ciao
a.l.e

valerie

Thanks.

Dragonfly: If I had to redo all the pathes every time I move a folder (hundreds of folders for flyers I have to design and send to other collegues)... no way...

a.l.e: yes, I collect. But anyway: moving the folder to another place, all the links disapear. I could not find any commando like in indesign which would allow me to re-link all pictures of a document at once. I have to search one by one and this costs me half of my working time. The only vantage of this system is, that at least the size and placement of the pictures keep the same. But I have to do one by one.

Is there any possibility to ask for improvement to the people who program this? I can not understand, why there is no funktion like this!

best
Valerie

dragonfly

QuoteIf I had to redo all the pathes every time I move a folder (hundreds of folders for flyers I have to design and send to other collegues)... no way...

Sorry, I did not understand your workflow. I thought that this was a move to say another folder or drive.

But are you sending *.sla documents (plus images) to many other colleagues who also use Scribus?

This is a case for a preview feature (export Scribus document to web and post the url's to the flyers?).
Also perhaps a case for a collaboration feature.

jack_cat

If I didn't misunderstand the OP's problem, it seems to me that a combination of "Save As" and "Collect to Output" solves the issue. I also have included in my .sla files graphics from all over my computer. If I want to move the .sla file to another folder, I cannot do this by dragging the file to a different folder with Windows Explorer, because it breaks the links to the graphics. Instead, I have to open the file and "Save As..." in the new location, and in this process, the links are preserved, leaving the graphics all scattered around where I had put them originally.

However, if I want to put the whole project on a thumb drive, for instance, then I use "Collect for Output", and it dumps all of the graphics into a single subdirectory in the new location. There is a glitch in this, however: if two graphics files in different folders happen to have the same filename, the CFO function will overwrite the first with the second, instead of labeling it something like "same-file-2.png". I have found it to be a good thing to periodically do "Collect for Output" just for the purpose of consolidating the project. I save the several files for my different chapters to the same folder, and the graphics for each one show up each in a separate sub-folder for each file, works like a charm other than one more little thing: most of my graphics have a Gimp file which is not moved with them, so I only have the .png which Gimp has exported. I believe that if the CFO folder is copied directly with the graphics subfolder included, that the links will still work. If I am wrong about this, the the trick is to do "Collect for Output" directly to the drive which will be shared.

Other than this, the CFO is a great function and very useful for consolidating the project; it means that I can use my VI graphics viewer to review all of the graphics at once, in the collected directory instead of using Scribus's manage-graphics window to hunt them down if I want to make a change.