Scribus > PDF Generation

New scribus and PDF size

(1/4) > >>

Trenien:
I suppose most people here are aware of the problem there is with the size of the pdf files scribus generate. I like the soft, but I must say it has become quite a problem when it comes to make photo books.
In any case, although I haven't seen anything to that effect in the release notes, one can always hope: is there any improvement on that front in the new version?

a.l.e:
hi trenien,

as far i can tell, there should not be huge issues with creating pdfs for photobooks.

if you have pdfs that are mostly composed by big images and the size of the pdf is bigger than the size of the images you're putting in there, i'm sure that the team will be glad to look at your case.

if you can give more details (and sample files) about the issue you're getting, we can check if the problem is still there in 1.5svn and -- if it is the case -- look for the causes.

have fun!
a.l.e

GarryP:
Trenien, one thing to add to what a.l.e. said above is that Scribus doesn't trim images to the frames when it creates a PDF. This means that if you show, for example, 10% of an image in a frame, the whole image will be included in the exported PDF and not just the bit that can be seen. This might make it seem that the file is larger than you think it should be.

To get Scribus to make a smaller PDF you can tell it to set a maximum image resolution when you export but for a photo book that's probably not much use (and it can add greatly to the time taken to export).

To paraphrase what a.l.e. said above, if you add up the file sizes of all of the images you're using and that size is much smaller than the PDF size then - unless you're also using loads of other text/vectors/etc. - that's probably a problem that needs to be looked at. On the other hand, if the total image size isn't much smaller than the PDF size then that's to be expected (given what I said earlier).

GarryP:
Oh, and you probably know this already but it's worth saying for anyone else reading this: If you're using PNGs and they don't need transparency then make sure they haven't got an alpha channel as that can double the size of an image file. (Gimp can remove the alpha channel very easily so it's worth having a look to see if that's an issue.)

Dogil:

--- Quote from: GarryP on March 31, 2016, 12:07:54 pm ---Trenien, one thing to add to what a.l.e. said above is that Scribus doesn't trim images to the frames when it creates a PDF. This means that if you show, for example, 10% of an image in a frame, the whole image will be included in the exported PDF and not just the bit that can be seen. This might make it seem that the file is larger than you think it should be.

--- End quote ---

oh, that could explain an issue I have with a huge file that doesn't load well in Acrobat (does nicely in any Linux PDF program though). I have many Images which are only shown partly and some of them are rotated a few degrees.

Is there a way to process the PDF so that this data gets purged?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version