Style Manager Bug

Previous topic - Next topic

Ged

I created a style and started using it.  So far so good.

I cut 'n pasted new text into a new page, went to 'Story Editor', selected all the text, then selected my chosen style from the drop down box.  (every line on the left column showed my style name)  However, all my text remained in Arial font instead of Times New Roman as stipulated in my style.

So, I looked at the 'Properties' box of my text, and the styles read 'default character and paragraph.'   So I chose my style there, and the problem was fixed.  But why didnt the fix take place in 'Story Editor'?  I expected they both should have achieved the same result?  Anyway, Ive reported this here as a possible bug.
My first 'puter was a 286,
My first dtp was Aldus Pagemaker,
My first printer was a Little Squirt,
My first car was a motorbike.

GarryP

Quite a few experienced Scribus users would recommend not using the Story Editor unless you really have to. It's a bit "clunky" in some areas and you can't see character style formatting (or apply them at all). These people would recommend applying styles using inline editing (double-click the text frame), and applying formatting from the Properties Palette.

Other people are just fine using the Story Editor and don't see a problem with it as long as you know its little foibles. Personally I use it when I think it's more useful to do so, and use inline editing at other times. It's a matter of personal choice at the moment but I don't know what the future holds for the Story Editor.

With Scribus 1.4.5 on OSX I tried to replicate the problem you reported and got slightly different results, although there are some strange things...

The workflow I used was as follows:

* Open Scribus.
* Create new document (A4 portrait).
* Create new text frame.
* Right-click selecting "Sample Text", select "Standard Lorem Ipsum" (10 paragraphs). OK dialog.

All looks as expected.

* Menu "Edit -> Styles".
* Create new Paragraph Style (called "Test").
* Change font to 'Times New Roman". DONE and close dialog.
* Right-click and "Edit Text".
* Menu "Edit -> Select All".
* Using top-right-hand drop-down select "Test" from list of styles.
* Press "Tick" icon in top-left to update and close editor.

Text has been formatted as expected (which is different from what you report; how did you apply the style to the text?).

* Go to Properties Palette Text tab.

Both Paragraph and Character Style show as "No Style". Character style as "No Style" is expected but some could argue that Paragraph Style should be "Test".

* Double-click text frame to edit inline.

Paragraph Style still shows as "No Style". This isn't expected, should be "Test".

* Click somewhere else in the paragraph to move the cursor.

Paragraph Style now shows as "Test", which would be expected. This shows that the Story Editor isn't fully "aligned" with the PP-Text-tab or that the Text-tab isn't updated properly.

I'd say that there was a bug in there somewhere but I'm not exactly sure what the bug is or how it should be reported. I know what I would expect to happen but whether that's what should happen is a different story (pardon the pun).

What does anyone else think?

Ged

Quote from: GarryP

Text has been formatted as expected (which is different from what you report; how did you apply the style to the text?).
Same as the steps you outlined.  The only difference was that I cut 'n pasted text from notepad, whereas you used Lorum Ipsum text from Scribus.  (Ive just tried it again and the problem is the same as I described)

Quote from: GarryPI know what I would expect to happen but whether that's what should happen is a different story (pardon the pun).

What does anyone else think?

Well, stand in the shoes of a noobie.  Little glitches come as a shock.
My first 'puter was a 286,
My first dtp was Aldus Pagemaker,
My first printer was a Little Squirt,
My first car was a motorbike.