embed images into the file .sla

Previous topic - Next topic

maxlinux2000

Hi, I'm starting to work on a group of fans to a newsletter, and we use Gdrive to share documents, photos, etc.
We have a problem with Scribus because apparently, it can not embed pictures in the file (.sla) and when someone down the file on his computer, scribus not find the images in the path.

We are thinking to installing ubuntu on all computers of the group, in order to unify the paths.
Currently someone  works on several versions of Windows other in debian/ubuntu.

But everything would be solved if scribus can embed images in their own file.

Do you know if and how to fix this problem?

regards
MaX

GarryP

Hi MaX.

Scribus can't embed images in its SLA files. As far as I know it's never done so.

You can use the "Collect for Output" feature to gather all the resources together but that means a lot of Zipping and manual coordination between people which can be a hassle and things will probably get lost or mistakenly overwritten along the way.

Have you thought about using something like Git/GitHub to coordinate your files and changes?

There's a tutorial here: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_use_GitHub_for_Version_Control_with_Scribus which might be of some interest.

It's not a fully-featured collaboration solution but it might work for what you want.

maxlinux2000

Hey, Tnx a lot! :)

I think that in 6 month I will implant the use with github in my group... but before I want to migrate all my peuple to ubuntu... less problems for me and for all.

GarryP

You're welcome MaX.

I don't know if you've considered this but one problem you might have with a large number of contributors is making sure that everyone is using exactly the same fonts.

Substitutions for slightly different fonts may make one person's page look different to other people's pages because of the way similar fonts can be slightly different sizes etc. For example, if the letters are slightly wider in one font then you might have problems where the text looks different to different people if, say, the text flows into the next frame at different points in the text.

It's just something to think about is all.

Anyway, good luck with your newsletter.

utnik

Quote from: GarryP on December 18, 2015, 05:11:21 PM...one problem you might have with a large number of contributors is making sure that everyone is using exactly the same fonts.

there's a checkbox to include the fonts in the 'collect for output' dialog.
scribus will find all font files inside the directory with the .sla file – there's no need to install them in your os.

utnik