Crashing, Saving and learning

Previous topic - Next topic

Ton Baars

Hello,

trying to make a document I have come across a series of troubles. Part of it me being new to scribus, part also feeling that Linux and other programs don't seem to work seamlessly with Scribus. On top of that Scribus has frozen three times causing me to lose all work, even though I saved the document at the start and it autosaves every 5 minutes.
As I am also learning how to create templates that I can find again (saving as a template didn't result in that) I am now not very happy with my program. Is this (scribus freezing) a common thing? Is there a particular cause for it?

ton

Nermander

There are a lot of users using Scribus for professional work, freezing is not common with the stable version (not even with the unstable).

To find out what may be the problem you should tell us what operating system you are using (including version), what version of Scribus you are using, how you installed it. And possibly also what hardware you are using.

Ton Baars

Hello,

since my message I have been able to complete the project I was working on. No crashes since. This doesn't mean I don't come across other challenges, I guess it is the learning curve. Right now I want to make a change on the document I made (and what crashed several time before) and now I can open the file, but not work in it. Even properties, after opening, is shows in it's light grey colours and I can not select within the levels. Nothing is locked.

I am using Scribus 1.4.5, installed via the official website download page, in Ubuntu 14-04 LTS on a DELL Inspiron-5458. The Ubuntu was installed on this machine, the reason I bought it.

Ton

Nermander

Are you opening the SLA file, or are you trying to edit a PDF?

Ton Baars

Hello Nermander,

sorry for all the delays in my replies. I am not online too often. Problems that arise seem to disappear the next time I am opening the document.Does that happen a lot? I am experiencing that also when I open the computer and the wireless internet connection I have used many times, is not recognised. Restarting solves this. In my previous computer I have not had this.

My answer to your question is SLA file, but the problem doesn't occur any more.  Thanks for your input.

ton