Scene break graphic

Previous topic - Next topic

MommaBear

Greetings all. This is my first post.

I'd like to use a small graphic for the scene break marker in my document.

For those not familiar with the term, it's a blank line between one scene and another, used (to my knowledge) exclusively in fiction.

Sometimes the scene break is marked by * * * between the paragraphs, sometimes the paragraph after the scene break begins with block capital letters, or a drop cap.

But I'd like to use a small graphic, about ¼" square, centered on the blank line.

I tried using the scrapbook, but
1. The graphic doesn't show up, just the frame with the name of the graphic file.
2. It doesn't paste where I want it to. Once I move it, it goes off centre and I have to reposition.

There'll be dozens, if not hundreds of these scene breaks by the time the whole document is put together, so any way of automating the process would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

utnik

hi mommabear

you could put your 'scene break graphic' in a special font file with only one character – fontForge is your friend...
i did this for a friend with a handful of special signs.

utnik

MommaBear

Hi utnik:

This may be exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks so much.

utnik

hi mommabear

for a bit more complex signs (characters) i suggest to create the graphics with inkscape (or another vector tool) and import them as .svg files in fontfForge. the ui of fontForge is much better than it was a couple of years ago, but inkscape is still much more intuitive (at least for me...)

utnik

MommaBear

Hi utnik:

Really sorry for the delay in responding. I still haven't figured out how I get email notifications that my thread has a new post.

I really prefer your font idea, just because I think it'll be easier to place a character than a graphic. But we may have to go graphic. And to that end, I need to ask: Do you know if SVG graphics change in size when the reader changes font size in their e-reader? I've googled. but to no avail.