Missing Fonts

Previous topic - Next topic

BionicNellyWiz

Hi,

I use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS system and using Scribus NG application with release version of 1.4.0. rc2 as at 16/03/2011

I'm puzzled with the fonts!  For example in Inkscape, LibreOffice Writer - both of these applications I can see Arial Black of: Bold, Regular, Bold Italic and Italic.  Even using the Font Manager I can see it is installed as System.

However when I look for Arial Black Bold in Scribus it only has Arial Black Regular.  I did look in Preferences, Document setup and still it's only Arial Black Regular.  I tried to add the font directory to Preferences but it made no difference?

Is it something to do with Ghostscript, etc?  or is there something missing and it hasn't been installed.  I'm sure there's a simple solution and perhaps it's hidden away somewhere!

So you see why I'm puzzled!  ???

Can anybody help me?   If so, I would be one very happy Scribus user!!!

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: BionicNellyWiz on March 16, 2011, 02:44:00 PMI'm puzzled with the fonts!  For example in Inkscape, LibreOffice Writer - both of these applications I can see Arial Black of: Bold, Regular, Bold Italic and Italic.  Even using the Font Manager I can see it is installed as System.
However when I look for Arial Black Bold in Scribus it only has Arial Black Regular.  I did look in Preferences, Document setup and still it's only Arial Black Regular.  I tried to add the font directory to Preferences but it made no difference?
Is it something to do with Ghostscript, etc?  or is there something missing and it hasn't been installed.  I'm sure there's a simple solution and perhaps it's hidden away somewhere!

I would install Fontmatrix. Fontmatrix is not only a good font manager, but it also shows the folders where fonts are installed. When you launch it the first time it searches for fonts in /usr/share/fonts and also in ~/.fonts, and probably other places as well. It will show the folders where fonts are installed so you can be sure you have told Scribus all the folders to look in.
Linguistics on Linux!

Nermander

Isn't this the usual "problem": Scribus only use variants of the font that are available in the font.

Other programs create "fake" bold and italics even if they are not available in the font.