Problem Opening a PDF File from Microsoft Word in Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

DonMac

I'm preparing a book for publication. The author has written the book using Microsoft Word 2010. Word can save a document in PDF format, and I've confirmed with the commercial print company that the PDF files from Word are compatible with their system.

The author has provided EPS graphs for insertion in the document. These files can be imported directly into Word, but Word degrades their quality. Therefore, I'm looking for a method to insert the EPS graphs into the PDF document that was generated by Word in a way that the quality of the graphs won't be degraded.

I could presumably use Adobe InDesign for this task, but it seemed sensible to first investigate Scribus because it appears to be ideal for the task. However, if I open the PDF document from Word in Scribus, the document is badly garbled.  (I open the document using File > Open and I specify files of type PDF to enable me to find the document).

I've never had any problems with the PDF files from Word. In particular, these files have always rendered perfectly for me in Adobe Acrobat.

I've attached the first few pages of the document in the PDF format generated by Word. (I would have attached the original Word document, but the forum doesn't allow docx files.) If you open the PDF file in Scribus, you'll presumably get the same garbling that I got. I'm using Scribus 1.4.5 (C-*-T-*-C1.8.6-Windows-64bit Using Ghostscript version 9.16) under up-to-date Windows 7 Professional (64 bit).

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks for your help,

Don Macnaughton

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi don

scribus is not a .pdf manipulation program!
with scribus 1.5 your file looks at least like in adobe reader, but the content isn't text any more. everything is converted to vector outlines.

utnik

DonMac