Problems with l and ll when exporting to pdf

Previous topic - Next topic

sctsystemic

Hi
I am using 1.4.5 on Windows 10. I exported a two page triptych leaflet to pdf  for internet publication and it shows a slightly distorted bold face on the "l" letter - particularly ugly with the double l. The problem disappears at 400% viewing on the adobe reader but most people use 75% or 100%. I can save the doc as an image and then export to .pdf but the result is not so clear. I am using standard and bold Verdana fonts (embedded). Any ideas what mya be going wrong?
Thanks

Nermander

The reason the letters look strange is that the hinting from the font has been lost.

The root cause can usually be find around conversion from one font type to another (probably because the base font type is not possible to embed).

sctsystemic

Hi Karma
Thanks for your reply. Any idea how I can solve the problem. Verdana is a pretty common font. Would another be better to use?

Nermander

Make sure the font is a font that can be fully embedded in the PDF.

Some types of fonts gets converted when you try to embed them, then hinting is most likely lost.

Botilada

Do you know how I can check if fonts can be embedded in a pdf.

mnawij

Are you outlining the fonts within the pdf export? As you can see this is a known issue for a long time by the date of this forum link:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/300106?tstart=0

It is a "hinting" display problem as Nermander has pointed out.

mnawij