Text "all caps" removing on document load...

Previous topic - Next topic

AlyseHandBinds

I'm not sure if this should go in the text subforum or here, since this is probably a beginner question... ?

I'm working on a document and using the "all caps" option on the text boxes.

When I reload the document, annoyingly the caps formatting disappears for each text box. But it stays for the first line. It's very aggravating, lol!

Side question: Is there a way to edit the "text" properties on multiple boxes at once, so I can just select all and fix it?

Edit: I forgot there's more than one version of this program out there... I'm running 1.4.5

utnik

hi alysehandbinds

i never use 'all caps' and alnost never 'small caps'. but i just tested them and both work with scribus 1.4.5 and 1.5 on mac os 10.9. i closed and reopened the document (and scribus) a couple of times – the formatting persists.

Quote from: AlyseHandBinds on September 17, 2015, 03:38:49 PMIs there a way to edit the "text" properties on multiple boxes at once, so I can just select all and fix it?

how do you format your text? with paragraph styles (f3) (based on character styles) you should be able to change your settings for all the text frames of the whole document...

utnik

a.l.e

first: welcome to scribus!

then: it's hard to say what is happening.

i would say that generally speaking writing in all caps is not a good habit. that might be a reason why, if there is a bug in there, nobody found out about it...

that being said, i can try to give you two advices, on how to work around the issue:

- if you're editing the content with the story editor, try to work in the frame itself by double clicking on it. you will be able to apply formatting by opening the "properties" palette in the "windows" menu.

- you should define character or paragraph styles with the formatting you're using (in this case the all caps) and apply the the styles instead.

sadly, it's not yet possible to apply a formatting to several frames at once.

if i have some time, i will to reproduce your problem and eventually submit a bug report...

AlyseHandBinds

Thanks for the replies! I'm working on making a planner, and writing the holidays in tiny font, using all caps.

The idea was to capitalize it properly to (hopefully) easily change it back to regular without having to retype everything when/if I reformat the planner template. :P

Here is exactly what I did to replicate:

New document, changed no margins or anything.
Drew a text frame.
F2 for properties.
Changed to "Century Gothic."
Changed size to "8 pt."
Changed line height to "8 pt."
Clicked the "K" to indicate all caps.
Double clicked the text box to start typing.
Typed "Thanks!↵
This has been a great forum experience."
It looks good, all caps.
CTRL+S Saved as "test."
CTRL+W to close.
CTRL+O to open and reopened it.

Lo and behold: Strangely only the first line keeps the all caps formatting... And sometimes even just the first word (MEMORIAL Day, instead of MEMORIAL DAY)

**EDIT** Note: I just realized that after I reopen it, the problem is there. I fix it, save, close and reopen and the problem does not reoccur. It only happens the first time I reopen! That's quite a relief. I think I can live with reformatting things if it's only once!

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

ok (well, no, not ok...) i can replicate this!

i can confirm that this is a bug in both 1.4.x and 1.5svn.

do you want to post the ticket on http://bugs.scribus.net or should i do it?
i mean, you could also have a great bug reporting experience to enrich your life :-)

AlyseHandBinds

Edit: Nevermind! I figured out how to register there! B)

(The things you type when you can't think of anything to type.)

(And usually forum communities are awful to newcomers.)

a.l.e

thanks for filling the issue!

i've confirmed it...

ciao
a.l.e

utnik

already solved (bug:13355) – jean ghali is a magician...