Preflight error when using hyperlink

Previous topic - Next topic

SusanSavad

I am setting up a newsletter in Scribus 1.4.5 on a Windows 7 machine. I have used type 1 fonts Times and Helvetica.

It will have two versions: one going to the printer in Hi Res and one going online in Low Res.

I have put hyperlinks into the document for the web version. When I exported the newsletter to pdf I got the following error message in the Preflight "Annotation uses a non Truetype font"

As an experiment to see if something was wrong with the fonts I am using, I opened up a clean page with nothing on it, just put a hyperlink box on the page without typing in an URL, and I still got the same message.

Does anyone know why I am getting this error? Is this a bug in the program?

Will this error effect either my Printer version or my web version PDF?

a. Will the printer have a problem printing it with the hyperlinks still in the document or should I make a second version for the printer with the hyperlinks deleted?

b. Web Version: Will there be any problem opening the pdf once it's online and will the hyperlinks still work regardless of browser or operating system?

Thanks for any information that any of you can give me.

Susan

Nermander

After a quick googling I think that PDF annotations can only use TrueType fonts or one of the 14 standard PDF fonts. Type 1 fonts can not be used for PDF annotations.

SusanSavad

Hi Nermander,

Thanks for taking the time to look it up. However, when I looked up the 14 standard pdf fonts i found:

The font files that may be embedded are based on widely used standard digital font formats: Type 1

Fourteen typefaces, known as the standard 14 fonts, have a special significance in PDF documents:

Times (v3) (in regular, italic, bold, and bold italic)
    Courier (in regular, oblique, bold and bold oblique)
    Helvetica (v3) (in regular, oblique, bold and bold oblique)
    Symbol
    Zapf Dingbats

These fonts are sometimes called the base fourteen fonts.[57] These fonts, or suitable substitute fonts with the same metrics, must always be available in all PDF readers and so need not be embedded in a PDF.[58] PDF viewers must know about the metrics of these fonts.

I was careful to use only Times and Helvetica. Also when I opened a blank document and just put down a hyperlink box without any text at all, I still got the error message.

I think it must be some other reason or just a bug. I just need to know if my pdf document is going to be OK and I can safely ignore this error message.