[resolved] Story editor won't open

Previous topic - Next topic

dagoss

I'm using Scribus 1.4.5 on Windows. When I right-click > Edit Text to open the story editor, nothing happens. There is no error or indication of what went wrong--no window opens and nothing happens.

This issue also occurred with Scribus 1.4.4. The story editor used to work (with 1.4.4), but one day stopped appearing. I don't recall if there was a setting or something I changed at the time to make that happen. Resetting the preferences to default did not fix the issue though.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? If not, does anyone have tips for trying to find the root cause so I can work around this and/or enter a bug report.

a.l.e

double clicking on a frame brings you in edit mode.

the properties palette (in the windows menu) will give you all the goodness you need for formatting text.

the story editor should not be used for normal editing. it's for speicial cases, where the in frame editing is not practical.

all this being said: the story editor should be working... i've not heard about other people having the same issue.

Nermander

Maybe it has just ended up outside the screen?

dagoss

Quote from: a.l.e on August 25, 2015, 10:33:34 AM
double clicking on a frame brings you in edit mode.

the properties palette (in the windows menu) will give you all the goodness you need for formatting text.

the story editor should not be used for normal editing. it's for speicial cases, where the in frame editing is not practical.

I often need to pull in plain text from various sources. Using the story editor is much more practical for this kind of thing. I frequently copy/paste crazy things out of Word and PDF files, use some regex-fu in Vim to clean it up, then copy/paste into the story editor. The plain text view of the story editor is a lot easily for me to use when the content is still in this state than trying to deal with both content and formatting at the same time with the normal view.

Quote from: Nermander on August 25, 2015, 12:18:18 PM
Maybe it has just ended up outside the screen?

I just tried alt+space > M, and sure enough, the story editor was way off screen. Not sure why it didn't occur to me to try that before--I guess I wasn't... thinking outside the box!