Is Scribus faster on Linux than it is on Windows?

Previous topic - Next topic

apastuszak

I have a dual boot PC that has 64 bit Arch Linux and 64 bit Windows 8.1 on it.  Windows 8.1 is installed on an SSD and Arch is on a standard HD.

When editing the same file on both OSes, Scribus on Arch is a lot faster.  The file is 12 pages long and has a lot of 600 dpi graphics in it.  On Linux when I ungroup something and then edit text, it's instantaneous.  In Windows 8.1, when I ungroup, it takes a few seconds to ungroup.  I click on the text box and I wait 2-3 seconds to get the I-beam cursor.

Anyone else seen this kind of discrepancy between the two OSes?

Nermander

No experience with Scribus, however when my wifes old "netbook" with Windows XP started to become very laggish a year or two ago I installed Kubuntu as dual boot and the machine was like new. With Windows it could take 2 minutes to start the web browser (even Internet Explorer).

apastuszak

The lag is bad enough that I don't want to use it.  The PC is a core i5 with 24 GB of RAM in it.  The lag also appears to be specific to Scribus.  I'll need to try some other QT based apps and see how they perform on Windows 8.1