Solved mailto: links on exported pdf not working

Previous topic - Next topic

Downunder Dabbler

:-\Another newbie joins the fold ... and stumbles ... or perhaps it is just a hiccup ...

Using Scribus 1.4.5 on Win 7 and am very happy as I slowly climb the learning curve. Have produced a pdf doc advertising an event later this year and all is well until I try to add mailto:email@address

Have added 2 links to external website addresses as pdf annotations and they work as expected.

Have added 2 mailto: links that don't work. Adobe reader does nothing when the link is clicked and Evince pops up an error message, "Unable to open external link. Error stating file 'C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Devi Sydney\MAILTO:address@gmail.com': No such file or directory"

When I used lower case mailto: the error message was " ... Error stating file 'C:\Users\Owner\mailto:address@gmail.com': No such file or directory"

There is a second email address that is not gmail and it does not work either and gives the same message.

Both mailto: addresses are in an external weblink annotation text box.

What have I missed here?

With thanks from downunder ...

Nermander

Downunder Dabbler

Thank you but that is not useful - I read that before posting my question as well as searching for others.

As far as I am aware I have followed all steps to the letter that are described in the scribus manual accessed via the help menu on 4.1.5

As well as not working on my flyer, I created a new document;
inserted a text frame containing "mailto test";
inserted a link annotation via the feet symbol on the toolbar;
selected the External web-link option and entered mailto:myemailaddress;
saved the document;
exported to pdf 1.5;
opened pdf and clicked on mailto link;
read message, "Error stating file 'C:\Users\Owner\mailto:hakimoerton@gmail.com': No such file or directory"

It appears Scribus is looking for a file, not an external web link.

The end result is the same for the 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5 pdf export options.

Any ideas please? I would just file a bug report but it seems that this version has been around for quite a while and there are no other reports of this behaviour that I could find.

With thanks from Downunder

Nermander

As I wrote in that topic (I think): It is not Scribus that is executing the link, it is the PDF viewer.

Scribus just creates the PDF, everything after that is done by the PDF viewer.

Downunder Dabbler

What you say Nermander is very relevant and I think I am expecting too much from a PDF. I will mark this as solved and look at alternative ways of achieving what I want.

Thanks for your patient input.