Scribus PDFs won't preflight in PDF Checkpoint

Previous topic - Next topic

RGrahame

I have been developing a newsletter and flyer, both with many ads, and have been able to print on various printers. Recently, we sent a test PDF to the printer and they claimed that it would not go through their workflow. I decided to try to preflight using PDF Checkpoint and no matter what version of Scribus I try, PDF Checkpoint quits.

Other, non-Scribus PDFs are fine. I have tried changing from TT to OT, I changed all the settings I could think of that might affect the PDF quality and have tried changing the PDF version. I have even tried a document with no content.

What PDF engine does Scribus use? If it uses Ghostscript, perhaps I need to reinstall it.

I am using a Mac with OS X Yosemite and have even tried Scribus 1.5 Yosemite.

I need to sort this out quickly.

http://zevrix.com/pdfcheckpoint.php
MacBook Pro
OS X 10 Yosemite

RGrahame

The developer of PDF Checkpoint is aware of the issue and told me to re-save my PDFs in Apple Preview to get the PDF formatted properly. I used the option Export as PDF from Preview and it worked.
MacBook Pro
OS X 10 Yosemite

a.l.e

hi

scribus has its own pdf engine.

and the PDFs created by scribus are supposed to be of good/high quality.

could you please find out, which issue with scribus PDFs, the PDF checkpoint developer is aware of?
i'm sure that if it is indeed a scribus problem, the scribus team will fix the issue as soon as possible!

zevrix

Hi a.l.e,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm the developer of PDF Checkpoint.

Is this the right place to discuss the PDF structure issues - or should I get in touch with Scribus developers by email?

To put the issue in brief:

For some reason, Scribus stores a single Resources dictionary inside the Pages dictionary. This Resources dictionary contains resources, such as Fonts and XObject, for the entire file.

In all other PDF files I encountered, each individual Page dictionary contains its own Resources. If, for example, you resave a Scribus PDF from Preview or Acrobat, it will be restructured in this exact way.

Please let me know how to proceed with this discussion.

Thanks,

Leo Revzin
===
Zevrix Solutions
http://zevrix.com

Nermander

I think bugs.scribus.net or IRC is the best way to get in touch with the devs.

a.l.e

a.l.e

according to jean, what scribus does is valid according to the PDF specs.

the question is: why does PDF checkpoint not accept it?