Solved v1.5.1 - Preflight "Applied Master Page has different page destination"

Previous topic - Next topic

trebor

The help text "Have you applied the correct Master Page?" when I hover over the error in the preflight checker gives some clue to the problem but I have been unable to find a definitive description of how to solve this error.

I have encountered this error with many templates and documents I have been working on. I have found it safe to just ignore this and continue but I would like to know how and when the issue is triggered. I have set up Left & Right Master Pages for double sided documents (book & newsletter) but I can't see an option or setting to determine when a Master Page is 'left' or 'right' or 'middle'.

Possibly it is to do with the option of applying a Master Page. eg: Menu -> Page -> 'Apply Master Page...' where I have selected 'Apply to even pages'

I am using Linux:
Scribus Version 1.5.1.svn
22 June 2015
Build ID: C-C-T-F-C1.13.1-64bit
Using Ghostscript version 9.10

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated! Not knowing the reason is driving me to distraction ???

trebor

I have had a look into the differences in how the two methods of creating Master Pages varies.

In the Scribus wiki Working with Master Pages these two methods are:

• "Plan A" Edit > Master Pages....
  • "Plan B" Page > Convert to Master Page...

I have been making Master Pages as one of the first steps of creating a new document so have generally used "Plan A".

Only now do I see that the "Plan B" (convert current page) option gives an extra option in the creation and naming dialog box. Using this method I can choose either "Left Page" or "Right Page". I can't see a corresponding option in the "Plan A" (create from scratch) Master Page creation process. Note the option for "Left Page" or "Right Page" is only available when working on a "Double Sided" layout. (See Windows > Arrange Pages)

One other thing I have noticed is that when I have created Master Pages via Plan A then I am unable to choose the Left Hand Mater Page I thought I had created when inserting pages.

Now I wonder if this is a bug or silly me is just not seeing something obvious in the Plan A approach.

If I stumble across anything else that may shed some light on my problem I'll let you all know. And of course if anyone else can offer more insight I'd welcome your thoughts and comments.

In the mean time keep using this great software and thanks to all those tireless developers who have given us such a great alternative to the proprietary offerings I cannot afford to use.

GarryP

Welcome to the forum trebor.

I've been unable to replicate getting the message on 1.4.5 (OSX).

However, following this simple workflow:
* Create new double-sided document.
* Create new Left Master Page.
* Create new Right Master Page.
* Apply new Left Master Page to right-hand pages.
* Apply new Right Master Page to left-hand pages.

The PreFlight Verifier doesn't complain at all. No problems found. I would expect to get a message like you are getting but I don't. (There is no option in Preferences to say whether this should be checked.) I don't have a copy of 1.5.1 to check whether this functionality has changed since 1.4.5.

An issue relating to this sort of thing was created in the bug tracker http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=11235 a few years ago.

I've attached a document that has some master pages that have been applied to the wrong side with "Page -> Apply Master Page / Current Page". (Applying using "Even" or "Odd" pages has the same effect, i.e. no problems mentioned.)

I'd say that this was something that needs looking into by the developers.

[attachment deleted by admin]

trebor

Thank you Gary!

I had a look at your sample document and indeed everything works as expected.

I have now had a closer look at my template that was presenting the problem and I see I was getting confused by the single sided and double sided 'Document Layout'. I thought I had set up the template as double sided but had in fact set it up as single sided. I have to admit it was 'silly me' not checking whether I was working in a single or doubled sided layout.

However I have learnt some more about Scribus in the process. I had a look at the bug report you mentioned, which references a second related bug about moving pages along with their respective master pages. In looking for bugs I also found that a smart way to browse bugs is the metabug listing for Master pages/Page templates.

Not sure how to mark this as solved - I will see if I can edit the original post.

GarryP

You're welcome, but I'm a little confused.

When you say "everything works as expected", do you mean that you got messages from the Preflight Verifier saying that the master pages were applied to the wrong pages (which is what I would expect but am not getting), or do you mean that you get the same result as I got (I.e. no messages, which seems to be an error).

To me, if a left-hand master page is applied to a right-hand page - or visa versa - then the PFV should show a message warning about that. The problem I was demonstrating was that this is not always the case.

However, you were getting the warning(s) - in your original post - so I'm wondering what circumstances lead to the warning(s) being made, because I'm not getting them in a document deliberately created to make the messages appear.

I'm not sure that this can be marked as solved because - even if you've found the root of the problem you were having - it still looks like Scribus isn't consistent when warning about this kind of thing.

Personally I've never seen that PFV warning before so I don't know why I'm not getting it when I specifically create the circumstances to get it. That seems like a bug but I don't know what sort of bug or what is making it happen.

trebor

I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my last post.

From your comments it may be that there is a problem with the version 1.4.5 you are using but looks like it may have been fixed in the version I am using. Just to recap I am using mint and Scribus Version 1.5.1.svn via ppa. The Ubuntu Trusty reposotory has not caught up with the recently released stable 1.5 version. Ubuntu Trusty still stuck on version 1.4.2.dfsg+r18267-1ubuntu2.

Quote from: GarryP on July 07, 2015, 01:17:52 PM
that you got messages from the Preflight Verifier saying that the master pages were applied to the wrong pages
Yes the Preflight Verifier gave me the expected error message "Applied Master Page has different page destination (Left, Middle,Right" on pages 1,2 & 3 where you intentionally applied the wrong Master Page. Page 4 is a Left Hand Page and has the correct "New Left" Master Page applied so I don't get the Preflight error for page 4.

BTW thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Preflight Preferences options.

QuoteThe problem I was demonstrating was that this is not always the case.
As I was getting the expected PFV error message in my version (1.5.1 svn) I didn't fully appreciate that you were not getting the expected error.

QuotePersonally I've never seen that PFV warning before so I don't know why I'm not getting it when I specifically create the circumstances to get it. That seems like a bug but I don't know what sort of bug or what is making it happen.
I've been using version 1.5 for quite some time now so I have seen the PFV ("Check if applied Master Page location is the same as each page's location") error result message quite a lot on templates I have downloaded. I have also had the error in some of my own templates where I was the problem: when getting confused about single and double sided page layouts.

I'll amend the title of this thread to "Solved in version 1.5.1"

GarryP

Thanks for making that much clearer. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't misunderstanding what you wrote.

Here are my results after a little more checking (using the document I attached):
* 1.4.5 on OSX - PFV doesn't report any master page issues.
* 1.5.1svn on OSX - PFV reports the "Applied Master Page has different page destination" warnings.
* 1.4.3svn (whatever that actually is) on Linux Mint - PFV doesn't report any master page issues.

It seems that a new option "Check if applied master page location..." has been added to Scribus somewhere between 1.4.5 and 1.5.1svn. No wonder I've never seen the warnings before now.

Since you've found out that the problem - as you reported it - isn't really a problem (Scribus works as it should, albeit slightly differently, in all versions), and the option to check for the issue only exists in versions of Scribus later than the current stable version, I'd say that the problem is indeed solved although it wasn't actually a problem with Scribus.

As a bit of an aside: This was a bit of a tricky issue to look at because the feature that may have been having problems is only available on versions of Scribus that are not considered to be stable and therefore the "problem" could only be found by people using developmental versions of the software. (I only got 1.5.1svn up-and-running yesterday so I couldn't have known about the extra feature until then.) This would - to me at least - demonstrate that since there are a lot of Scribus versions out "in the wild", some kind of "list of features available in each version and the differences between them" table (or something similar) might be a good thing to have for people to check against. (Although I've no idea what format might be good for that and it might be a nightmare to update.)

Anyway, I'm glad you're sorted.