trouble selecting after page change

Previous topic - Next topic

Karela

I am working on a 70 page book at the moment, and am having a small problem. Not a major crisis, but more a constant annoyance and I would love to see if anyone can help me trouble shoot.

About half of the time when I move from one page to another (or actually one page layout to another, since they are double pages) I can not re-select items on the new page, nor can I type "t" or "i" to put and image or text box. Sometimes I still have a text box selected on the previous page, sometimes I have nothing selected, but I end up clicking like a maniac all over and nothing becomes selected.

The only workaround I have found is to choose "insert>text box/image box" (and then delete it if that was not what I needed to put). After that there is no problem selecting (until I move to the next page).

As you can imagine, with 70 pages there is a lot of jumping around from page to page and this is starting to get on my nerves. Anyone have solutions to this problem?

utnik

hi karela

i assume you've created your file with automatic text frames. in this case, if you have been in text edit mode before you click on a new page (with an empty frame), you'll stay in the same series of text frames (for the logic of the program at the end of the text on a previous page).
if you click 'i' or 't' in text edit mode, the result will be the appropriate character at the position of the text cursor, not a tool switch to add some new frames...

utnik

Karela

I am not sure what you mean by automatic text frames- I added them one by one using the "t" command- but you describe the problem fairly well....my text boxes are full of little t's that I mistakenly added  :)

Are you saying that the only solution is to make sure that I exit my text box while I am still on the page itself, because clicking on another page (or beside it) when the text box is no longer visible won't do anything?

utnik

hi karela

Quote from: Karela on June 02, 2015, 07:02:37 PM
I am not sure what you mean by automatic text frames...

there's an option called 'automatic text frames' in the new document setup window. if you check this, on all document pages a text frame will fill the space between the margins.

QuoteAre you saying that the only solution is to make sure that I exit my text box while I am still on the page itself, because clicking on another page (or beside it) when the text box is no longer visible won't do anything?

if you click on an empty space of one of your pages, scribus will switch to select mode – but by clicking in another text frame, it'll stay in edit mode (and with linked frames the position of the text cursor will be the end of the text in ths chain).
my assumption is that you have an automatic text frame wich fills the whole page and in front of it your manually positioned frames. but to be sure i would need to see your document.

utnik