How to create your own colours

Previous topic - Next topic

GarryP

I've just added my latest article to the Scribus wiki. It's part tutorial showing how to create and manipulate colours, and part article about colour models and other things.

It's reasonably comprehensive thing but if I've missed anything important tell me (or jump into the wiki and fix it yourself).

Most people who have used Scribus for a while won't find anything new but some people might find something they missed while learning. Total beginners will hopefully find it quite useful.

You can find it here: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_create_your_own_colours

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi garry

great to have something about color creation!
i flipped through your article, more than really reading it, but:

• i miss a mention of the color wheel with its different more or less harmonic color schemes.
  • i don't agree with your recommendation to use cmyk colors whenever the printer deals with cmyk inks or toners. almost any inkjet printer, most of the amateur laser printers and some professional digital printing systems will convert your cmyk data into rgb values before the final conversion to its own cmyk system. if you don't have the correct profile for the actual printer you may lose an unnecessary big part of the available color space.
but i like your growing collection of tuts...
utnik

GarryP

Hi utnik.

Thanks for posting. (I'm glad you like the tutorial collection so far. I hope people are getting some good use out of these things.)

My initial reason for creating this article was to give me something to link to from other tutorials so I wouldn't have to keep writing the same instructions over and over again but then I decided to make it a bit more general and give more information.

I'd completely forgotten that Scribus has a Colour Wheel! Shame on me. I'll have a proper look at it and add instructions to the article. Thanks for the reminder.

My recommendations about CMYK were very simplistic so I'm not surprised they don't give the whole picture. I don't get much of my stuff printed - it's mostly digital-only - so the advice I gave could well be missing some important information or be round the wrong way in places. (It was based on my memories of a while ago.) So, if you have better recommendations I'd be happy to change what's in the article to match up-to-date practices - without getting into Colour Management (which isn't an area I know well at all). Even if everything I've said in the article is wrong I'd like to make sure it's put right. If you want to write something yourself or point me to somewhere on the web, that would be very helpful.

Cheers.

utnik

hi garry

Quote from: GarryP on April 20, 2015, 02:39:14 PMIf you want to write something yourself or point me to somewhere on the web, that would be very helpful.

i'll try to have a closer look at it in the next few days...

utnik

GarryP

GarryP

Instructions for using the Colour Wheel have been added.