Adding links to a PDF

Previous topic - Next topic

Ged

I have exported my document to PDF and viewed it in Adobe Reader.  Looks good.   :)

Now, I would like to create a link in my PDF page before uploading on to the Internet.  Previously I would open the finished PDF in Adobe Acrobat, and add the link there.  However, it would be nice if Scribus could perform that task.  Am I in luck?
My first 'puter was a 286,
My first dtp was Aldus Pagemaker,
My first printer was a Little Squirt,
My first car was a motorbike.

Ged

I did it as per the Scribus article, but when I tried to upload my pdf document to Academia.edu, I got the following error message:

QuoteSorry, we couldn't convert your document for embedded viewing.
There are a number of potential reasons for this:

• The document was saved in a format that we can't process (for example, .jpg)
  • The document was saved with encryption or password protection
  • If we tried to pull it from an external address, the URL may have been malformed or obsolete

I will now try to upload it using Acrobat.  If that is successful, we may have to assume that I missed a detail in the Scribus instructions.  Either that or there is a 'bug.'   >:(  I'll let you know how I get on.

Nermander

Reading on this page (referred to from Academia.edu help pages)
http://support.scribd.com/entries/24412-Troubleshooting-uploads-and-conversions

Did you try the links before you uploaded the document?

Ged

Yep, tried the link and it worked OK.  Checked the academia article, and updated 'Flash' as the article suggested.

One thing else I noticed is that when exporting, Scribus default profile is set to "Postscript."  Ill try it set to "PDF14" instead, and see if it makes a difference.

a.l.e

that dialog you're seeing is the preflight verifier: it checks that your document is ok, before getting to the pdf export (or ps export)

it's a good idea to set it to the correct target -- so that you get messages that matters to you -- but it won't affect at all the export by itself.

if you can find out what the issue is, and the issue is indeed an issue, it's likely that it will be handled with high priority.

... but i fear that it's more likely that some "stupid" thing is behind it. maybe a little setting you forgot to set correctly... or a check from the publisher that is insane (like checking if they can find the word adobe in the creator string...)

hard to say from here...

toyotadesigner

Ged, it will make a difference. Though PostScript and PDF is very similar, PDF is a totally different world.

Let us know if you were successful.

Ged

Quote from: a.l.e

... but i fear that it's more likely that some "stupid" thing is behind it ...

Im inclined to think so too.   :(  My problem, however, is that I cannot tell if it's a glitch in Scribus or a glitch in Academia's uploader, or an oversight of my own.

So, here is what I intend to do.  Ive created a similar pdf in Pagemaker, and I will give it to Acrobat to create the link. Then Ill take it to Academia.  If it loads up, the problem is me or Scribus.  (Me most likely.)  Anyway, Ill get back here and share.

Ged

Aha!  My file has actually been loading on to Academia, but it must be uploaded by a visitor in order to read it.  (ie. It cannot be read on  the Academia website.)

If you want to check out what Im talking about, please go here, and scroll down to 'Experiment'.  Click on 'Experiment' - but no joy.  Click on 'Download' - fine and good.   :)

So, what I have to figure out, is how to make the pdf readable both ways.  Academia's uploader is spitting about something - but what?

ps. the link worked well!

toyotadesigner

I think it depends on the server. Did you try to post it somewhere else, i.e. on a standard server?

If you have a DropBox account, you might try to upload your document there into the 'public' folder, right click to get the link, copy the link, paste it into your browser and see what will happen. Usually the PDF documents will be displayed.

I just have transferred a Scribus PDF to my DropBox:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108865744/misc/coop_event_architekten_2015_03.pdf

It should display in the browser window without any problems (at least at my end it does)

Nermander

Can it be the file size? Scribus is well known to create large files.

toyotadesigner

The file size of my sample is only 378 KB. Just limit the resolution of embedded images to 90 dpi to reduce the size.

I have sent a file for a 148 page photo book for printing @ 300 dpi to a print company. Size was 242 MB. Embedding fonts reduces the file size as well. Converting fonts to paths or vectors can triple or quadruple the size of a PDF document.

So I really don't see that Scribus creates large PDF files.

Nermander

The origin of this topic is about problems uploading to Academia, who seems to be using Scribd for handling documents.

In Scribd the PDF will be "converted" after upload, and it's obviously that conversion that does not work.

On their homepage Scribd has a list of issues that may cause problems with conversion.

http://support.scribd.com/entries/24412-Troubleshooting-uploads-and-conversions

Ged

Yes, that sums it up. My file has been loading OK on to Academia, but it cannot be converted in order to read it.  (ie. It is not visible on the Academia website.)

So, I have gone to http://support.scribd.com/entries/24412-Troubleshooting-uploads-and-conversions, and I am working through their suggestions.

I suspect it might relate to what they say about 'Filenames'.  The article says, "Every so often our upload system gets confused and chokes on filenames that are unusually complex, especially ones with non-English characters, which can causes an upload to freeze. Simply update the filename to exclude non-ASCII characters, and try uploading again."

However, when I produced this file on 'Scribus' it did not allocate a filename (or author) to the pdf document properties.  When properties are viewed in my reader, those fields are empty.  However I cannot find where to add them.  Can you tell me how to add a filename to the pdf properties, and Ill try to upload again.

Sorry for being a bother.   :-[

Nermander

The file name is the name of the file on your disk, that you give when saving the PDF (and that you use when uploading it).

Document properties are set in the Document Setup under Document Information. Note that there are two tabs, first one only includes Title, Author, Keywords and Description. Second tab adds Publisher, Contributors, Date, Type, Format, Identifier, Source, Language, Relation, Coverage and Rights.

I have to confess that I don't know how even half of these are used:)