Text exported to PDF results in separate text fields

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan B

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm using Scribus now for about a year for some basic stuff, so still a bit of a newbie.

My customer wants an interchangeable file format with InDesign, so I'm looking into exporting to PDF, especially for some more complex brochures.

I encountered some glitches with embedding fonts in particular with Arial Regular on a windows 8 machine, but I think I can iron those out either using a linux machine or using another font.

However, if I successfully embed a font, I still have a problem with the resulting PDF. If I open that again in Inkscape, the text is indeed shown as text (not as vectors) but all the characters are separate text fields, which makes editing a pain staking job.

I tried several fonts: Arial (on linux machine) Helvetica Neue and Eurostyle. All have the same problem. If I create a PDF using open office the text remains one field.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to export text in to PDF while maintaining the field/frame structure?
2. What should I do to accomplish this (if possible)
3. Are there any other issues that I have to be aware of when I use PDF as an exchange medium with InDesign?
4. Is PDF indeed the most preferable option or am I overlooking something?

utnik

hi jan

there is no interchange format between scribus and inDesign. if you need to edit your artwork with inDesign, scribus is the wrong tool!

Quote from: Jan B on March 04, 2015, 03:37:17 PM...I encountered some glitches with embedding fonts in particular with Arial Regular on a windows 8 machine...

the windows fonts have a flag set to 'non embeddable' – a linux machine won't help. you have to use another font or change this flag (in a legal gray zone) with a tool like fontForge.

Quote...a problem with the resulting PDF. If I open that again in Inkscape, the text is indeed shown as text (not as vectors) but all the characters are separate text fields...
...If I create a PDF using open office the text remains one field.

the high quality microtypography of scribus is completely different from that of an office suite. scribus places every glyph at its own place.

Quote1. Is it possible to export text in to PDF while maintaining the field/frame structure?

i don't think so.

Quote4. Is PDF indeed the most preferable option or am I overlooking something?

.pdf is an end format – not meant for editing...

utnik

Jan B

Hi Utnik,

Thanks for your reply!

The point is not so much that I need to edit in InDesign on a regular base. As I recently started as a self-employed designer I use Gimp/Scribus/Inkscape/Blender. My customer, however, wants a back-up plan in case something happens to me, so they can retrieve the data in an editable way. So hopefully it is something I am not going to use :) but I want it to be in place. From what I understand ID can import PDF although it might require a commercial plugin.

When I export to PDF, the vector structure remains. When I open it e.g. in Inkscape, I still can edit the different elements. Of course typical Scribus elements like guides and so are gone, but at least the basic data is there.

So for me this would be a viable option, if the text frames would remain intact. But as it seems now this is not possible, unless there is some kind of work around or so.

FYI: I managed to embed Arial Regular in a PDF on an Ubuntu machine. You only have to unselect subset in the Fonts Preview. On windows 8 (not sure about other Window versions) you can uncheck it and the font can be put in the embed section, however, in the resulting PDF the glyphs are still vectorized. But may the FontForge offers a solution here.

utnik

Quote from: Jan B on March 06, 2015, 01:42:11 PMMy customer, however, wants a back-up plan in case something happens to me...

i recommend scribus for this case!

QuoteI managed to embed Arial Regular in a PDF on an Ubuntu machine.

i bet it wasn't scribus 1.4.5 or 1.4.4.

utnik

Jan B

Quote from: utnik on March 06, 2015, 10:19:40 PM
i recommend scribus for this case!

I recommended scribus to my customer. Hoping he goes along with it.

Quotei bet it wasn't scribus 1.4.5 or 1.4.4.

Correct, it is 1.4.2

Thanks for your help!!