Scribusoid

Author Topic: Scribus UI/UX improvements  (Read 28045 times)

tim_occ

• Scribus User
Re: Scribus UI/UX improvements
« Reply #240 on: May 30, 2017, 09:46:23 pm »
Hi guys,

I made an update of the Indigo branch. Now it is based on Scribus 1.5.3 master branch which includes all changes until today.
https://github.com/nitramr/scribus-indigo

----

So, I want to share my minds with you about the horizontal panels.
I agree with Garry, Scribus' workspace should fit to the user, for beginners and professionels. Why not support horizontal panels?
It is possible if we put all panel ui elements in small blocks. See image in attachement. In this way we can have a "floating" layout. But this solution will break if not all elements can fit in such "static" blocks, like list views.

Here is an example for a vertical layout (elements can group into 2-row blocks):
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1JRs-9VUaZGjG3Dvyci2DCpwIpYQLR8IZv485hjujdEk/edit#slide=id.g1b39926b0d_0_4

Here is an example for a horizontal layout (you can see the 2-row blocks better):
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1JRs-9VUaZGjG3Dvyci2DCpwIpYQLR8IZv485hjujdEk/edit#slide=id.g1d20649765_0_14

Let me know what you think about.

regards,
Martin

GarryP

• Scribus User
« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2017, 03:22:44 pm »
I think both of the options look great.

If the elements are grouped into blocks/panels that are added to a flow layout (or whatever the Qt equivalent is) then the UI should be able to handle both without much extra coding. Let the user give the orientation and size of the area and let the UI/API figure it out. That's what all these layout manager classes are for.

I understand that some list views won't work well - e.g. colour selection (if it's kept as it is, and, really, should it not just be a simple drop-down?) - but there are some parts of the UI - e.g. "text flow around frame" - where a simple drop-down list would make the UI much cleaner and help to avoid that problem.

If there's a part of the UI that doesn't fit into a flow layout then maybe it's time to have another look at it and see if it can be done differently.

I think a basic point is that even if the user uses a landscape-oriented monitor and wants all of their palettes and things at the top and bottom of the screen leaving only a "letterbox" of space for the document then they should be allowed to do that. There's no right or wrong way, there's just the way the user wants to have it for whatever reason they want, and Scribus should allow for it.

MrB

• Scribus Team Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2017, 11:40:00 pm »
So I agree, and it was my plan anyway to support vertical and horizontal layouts.
So I could show both at the same time, its not in preview mode, but I think we can achieve both with the same raw .ui file. In fact, we might be able to just lump all widgets unordered onto a blank dialog ui and then use stylesheets to set the x/y locations. The problem then becomes scaling to UI DPI etc. Anyway, sample screenshot attached.

tim_occ

• Scribus User
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2017, 01:19:28 am »
Hi MrB,

another solution could be the Qt Flow Layout:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwidgets-layouts-flowlayout-example.html

As I know it handle automaticly the "breaks" of the child elements based on the layout container width. Maybe it fits better to our layout than stylesheets.

regards,
Martin

MrB

• Scribus Team Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2017, 09:21:23 am »
Hi Martin

It might present some options for coding re-layout. The example shown is a bit too fluid for what we would want but it might show some ideas in the code that could be useful.

Craig

MrB

• Scribus Team Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2017, 01:19:43 am »
I just built the latest indigo..
- something's funny with the icons.. always very light, to the point of being unusable.
- I don't like how the properties palette becomes empty when no item is selected, although I understand why in context.

Other than that its a good thing so far.

I haven't read the code much yet so I don't know if the base changes are what we would want with the newer "broken up" palette thoughts.
The idea of splitting the palettes up more, eg so XYZ (with some others perhaps like rotation) would be more flexible and get around the issue of not having palettes making sense (ie like the PP being blank right now per the above)

What about the limited docking options in current Qt?
Would we need our own docking container that docks into the current Qt areas and then our palettes dock within that? I guess thats not unlike what is done now in indigo but also would cover the horizontal option where multiple small palettes can fit together.

palmate