Scribus UI/UX improvements

Previous topic - Next topic

tim_occ

Yes, thats why I have troubbles with debugging... But without my code it works. Maybe something will wrong initialized or get wrong datatypes. While compiling I got sometimes internal memory errors too.
For now I have to find a way for a better dedugging option with cmake.

PS: Grill party at sunday evening sounds great. Have fun ;)

tim_occ

Great news!

I could fix the compiling issues (some includes were missing in my code).
Take a look to the result. :D It is not perfect but it the first step.

best,
Martin

[attachment deleted by admin]

corebots

cloudbusting

Looks great Martin, very excited about this  :D I've been watching your Github like a hawk lol

tim_occ

Hi together,

short update. I decided to stop developing of IndigoDock as single project as seen on https://github.com/nitramr/indigoDock. My code doesn't fit well in current Scribus code base.

Now, I'm full focused on integration of IndigoDock in Scribus and all necessary optimizations and upgrades. In short words: I'm developing a special version of IndigoDock which fits perfectly in Scribus code base directly in the Scribus code. Later I will put back the improvements and useful upgrades to the original separate project that others can use it for their application.

Working Scribus Version which uses IndigoDock you can find here: https://github.com/nitramr/scribus-indigo

Work in progress
Currently I'm on restoring the panel and dock settings for workspace saving. And I'm on fixing some UX issues. But basic integration was successfully and the dock is usable. ;)

Thank you guys for waiting so long time for real results.

greets,
Martin

donjohnson24

Quote from: tim_occ on October 07, 2016, 09:43:14 PM
Working Scribus Version which uses IndigoDock you can find here: https://github.com/nitramr/scribus-indigo

I happened on this topic using 'show unread posts since last visit', and read some of the earlier posts to try to discover what it is all about - which I think I understand, but not fully as I am only a recent user of Scribus.   
In earlier posts you appeared to ask people to try out your work, and I wonder if that still applies, and to noobs like me, or just more expert users. 
If the former applies, could you provide instructions that lead a novice like myself by the hand to install Scribus with Indigo,  as the list of files that appears on selecting the above link is daunting to say the least.
Thanks,   Don

tim_occ

Hi Don,

thanks for request to check it out. Currently there is only the source code available, because the version is not ready for a stable release. It is in alpha state only, but usable with some issues.

If you want to check out the current Scribus version with indigoDock you have to complie it from source code. You can use this introduction from Scribus Wiki to compile it from source code. https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake#Build_from_Source

I think this intro is only helpful if you are using linux. I'm not sure how to compile on Windows or Mac.

Note: My version is an inoffical branch from Scribus.

greets,
Martin

PS: if there is a stable version I will provide an easy installable version for linux (Ubuntu). For other operation systems someone with other OS than me has to compile it.

donjohnson24

Thanks for the prompt reply, Martin - which tells me that I'm not really able to be involved at the moment.   I recall trying linux  some years ago, when my brain was younger and more able to cope with new concepts.   I'm now rather an old dog unable to learn many new tricks, so I guess I'll have to wait until you guys make it simple to use with Windows 10.

From what I did read, it seems that you have put a lot of thought and work into the project, for which one day I'm sure many people will be grateful.

Kunda

@tim_occ keep going buddy, looks great.
I tested indigodock a few weeks ago and added an issue to the github repo.
Thanks for all your work!

Kunda

@tim_occ just installed scribus-indigo! so cool!

tim_occ

Hi togehter,

short update from my side. I could improve the new dock and could fix some bugs (only 1 known is left).
In the last GitHub Version Scribus got a startup layout, which means all panels are visibile on startup and can be arranged later by user.

If I can fix the last bug I will take a look to the panel layout and make some improvements there.

BTW: I got some help for auto generation of an end user version of Scribus. But there are some troubles in the binaries, so if we can solve it we will have a deployable application for massive testing on linux ;)

greets,
Martin

Kunda

Quote from: tim_occ on November 06, 2016, 02:06:44 PM

BTW: I got some help for auto generation of an end user version of Scribus. But there are some troubles in the binaries, so if we can solve it we will have a deployable application for massive testing on linux ;)

Yo Martin,
Exciting. Once it works lets prominently display it for people to test. Also perhaps you want to offer some insight for devs that may be interested in submitting patches ? Like how you'd appreciate the patches to be submitted etc...?

tim_occ

Hi Kunda,

I have to take time to create a new roadmap and have to provide some more details about what I have planned to improve the UI.

In the meantime I could fix some bugs and I have added a bright icon set. Furthermore Scribus has a dark UI theme with custom styled control elements. Check it out, feedback is welcome.

tim_occ

Hi together,

today I want to present a test version of the Scribus Indigo branch. https://transfer.sh/14TFxp/scribus-git43554ee-glibc2.14-x86-64.appimage

This version contains:

• new dock + panel layout
  • dark and light icon set
  • dark and light theme

I have replaced the old theme switcher in settings where you could switch between styles, like Windows, Breeze, GTK+ and Fusion. Now the new theme picker based on Fusion style plus addition CSS definitions.
Default is the dark theme, but you can switch it in settings.

If you want to use Scribus Indigo, please make a backup of your ".scribus" folder in home directory and delete the folder. It is a hidden folder. The old settings generate conflicts with the new themes.

greets,
Martin

PS: In some tests with AppImage file we had issues on some linux distributions with missing Python libs.

tim_occ

I have created a wiki page which contains some more infos about the Scribus Indigo project itself. Here you can find a download link to latest appimage file and a roadmap. In next time I will extend this page / pages step by step.

Check it out and make a bookmark if you want any time the latest version ;)
https://github.com/nitramr/scribus-indigo/wiki

greets,

Martin