Blank text on pdf

Previous topic - Next topic

jpek-m

I have successfully printed my documents, but pdf generation gives me pages, where only pictures and graphical elements can be seen, the text is white on white. The hidden text exist there, I can paint and copy it elsewhere. I am sure I have given proper color for my text!

I have Mac OSX 10.9.5 and latest stable Scribus 1.4.4 C-C-T-F-C1.12.16-Mac/Aqua.

This is a fatal problem :o ! Any ideas?

jpek-m

Found a resolution: There was one word which had a font which was not embedded, and that looked ok. I removed all embedded fonts (Hoeffler Text Regular and others) and got a nice page.

Question: Why I can't embed fonts? I think they should be embedded when I send my publication to the printing house.

utnik

it's a bit hard to judge your file and rule out the problem in the empty space.
if you show me the project ('file' → 'collect for output') – i'll take a look at it...

utnik

jpek-m

I'll report how I fixed the problem of non-visible fonts: I did not use embedded fonts but had them all outlined.

Well, I am not sure what outlining is, possibly the glyphs are all drawn as vector graphics in the pdf file? Doesn't it be slow and space consuming?

utnik

hi jpek-m

Quote from: jpek-m on May 29, 2015, 04:20:13 PMWell, I am not sure what outlining is...

there's a confusion about outlining fonts in current scribus versions:

• if you go to 'item' → 'convert to' → 'outlines' with a selected text frame, scribus actually converts every character to a vector object. this text often looks bad in a low resolution environment (like on screen) because of a different rendering algorithm for text and normal path objects. in a high resolution print environment the effect should be invisible with most fonts in a readable size.
  • if you chose 'donts to outline' in the .pdf export window, scribus will convert the font to one or more type 3 fonts.
this problem is fixed for scribus 1.5.1 (and will be gone with 1.6...)

utnik