**SOLVED** Background pics

Previous topic - Next topic

crazedwombat

When I get an image, it never seems to be big enough for the wire frame covering the whole page. Then I click fit image to frame but that does nothing. I can't seem to find how to make the image stretch to the dimensions I need. Or at least what the 000x000 I need to make it fit. Struggling here.

v1.4.4

utnik

hi crazedwombat

I assume, your picture has another height to width ratio than the field.
a 4 to 3 image in a full size frame on an a4 portrait document will fit the width of the frame when you click 'adjust image to frame'. but there will be some free space on the lower edge.

you may make the frame a bit wider or set the image to 'free scaling' and scale it manually. (usually the chain link on the right hand side of the input fields should be closed. otherwise you'll stretch the image in an uneven way...)

utnik

crazedwombat

I tried to free scale it but the image doesnt stretch. It just changes the frame size. I have it set to landscape for a rack card brochure but can't find a picture that'll work. So I was looking for the biggest I could get and went to just manually scale it to see how pixelated it would get. Instead I get a ton of free space below the picture

utnik

hi crazedwombat

as long as 'scale to frame size' is selected, you can change the frame size and the image will scale automatically to fit either the width or the height of the frame (as large as possible, without overlapping the frame border...)
when you select 'free scaling', the size of the image is independent of the frame size. you can scale the image by the numbers. ('properties' (f2) → 'image' → 'x/y-scale' or 'actual x/y-dpi')

utnik

crazedwombat

My problem was that when I adjusted image to fit frame, there was a lot of blank space which made the background only cover 60%. I got around it by resizing the image to be much to big in MSPAINT and then scaled to fit frame. Lost a little resolution but got it to cover the whole page. Turned out pretty good.

utnik

hi crazedwombat

this is a bit a strange workaround for a problem which does not really exist...
if you're happy with it, then it's ok. – but i recommend to familiarize with the basic functions of the 'properties' window.

utnik

Nermander

Are you sure the image wasn't a lot bigger then the content? Scribus can not know if white space on the image is "empty space".

Also it seems as if you only tried resizing by dragging the edgdes of the image? The best way to resize and move an image within an image frame is to use the properties palette, place the cursor in a field and then use the scroll wheen on the mouse to change that field. For resizing you should lock width and heigh to keep the aspect ration.

crazedwombat

I messed around more with the properties and I get what you are both saying. Thanks, that works out better!