Enabling Text Flow

Previous topic - Next topic

Operabob

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Just learning Scribus. Did a Text Frame and inserted sample text. Then partially over laid a picture frame and imported picture. Going through Properties it show "Text Flow Around Frame :Disabled". I can't seem to get it "enabled". Is it the version I downloaded or beginner stupidity? Tried searching topics but nothing jumped out.

Thanks,
OB

samps

I think you might be looking at Text Flow Preporties for the text frame. Click once on the image frame to make it active, then set the Text Flow Property for it...

Samps

Operabob

Thanks Samps,

I did do that but perhaps incorrectly. Will try again. I actually clicked on both boxes just incase I had the wrong one.

Operabob

Hit the "Use Frame Shape" button and that did it.

GarryP

OB, the main thing you need to remember is that text has to flow around other objects. So you need to set the text flow options for the stuff you want the text to flow around, not the other way round. I.e. The text does what the other objects tell it to do.

The second thing to know is that for text to flow around something the text must be "below" the thing it's flowing around. This means that the text should be either on a layer that is below the layer the image is on, or it should be at a lower level than the image if they're on the same layer. (Use menu "Item -> Level ->" to move things up and down levels.)

It might be helpful to think of the text flow options as you telling an object to say "Don't put text under me.", rather than telling the text what to do.

It takes a while to get used to this - and I still get things the wrong way round sometimes - but once you remember the rules you'll have fewer problems.