Scribusoid

Author Topic: Beginner comment  (Read 2503 times)

GRI BUONGIORNE

• Scribus User
    • GRIZZLY TRANSLATIONS
Beginner comment
« on: November 29, 2014, 08:34:36 am »
Hello,

I am Silvia Griselda from Alaska. I've been searching for an affordable DP to use with my MBP. My works as a translator often calls for conversion of the dreaded PDF files  ::) into lovely looking brochures, diplomas, birth certificates, you name it...usually off a bad photocopied PDF....

Thus is the life of a humble translator.

I think that Scribus is actually quite advanced...for me, anyway. I have very painstakingly used a combo of Word (Office2011 for Mac), plus ABBY Fine readers (Mac version), plus the OmegaT CAT tool...which kind sorta does the job but needs a ton of tweaking. A DP expert I am not   

Feeling rather overwhelmed at the learning curve here with Scribus. Wondering if this is really what I need to make my job of transferring graphics (which need to stay the same) and then add the translated text into the saved graphics page. Am I making sense?

Like I said I use a number of programs which sorta work if the end client is not super picky about them being exactly like the originals, but have been wanting to learn something a bit more sophisticated without becoming a DP expert....

A translator should just be that...a translator and leave all the graphicy stuff to those who are experts in that field, however, in this fast paced business world a translator has had to become DP expert, editor, writer and translator.

Question: Is Scribus going to make my life easier or am I going to go over the edge here? Figuratively speaking... :-\

Thanks

Silvia Gri (Alaska)
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
           -- Daniel J. Boorstin

utnik

Re: Beginner comment
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:09:23 pm »
hi silvia

Is Scribus going to make my life easier or am I going to go over the edge here? Figuratively speaking...

usually scribus is going to make things more complicated first – but that's the same (or even worse) with other dtp software…

if you're doing the whole layout work besides your translations, scribus may be a good help.
for the translations i would still use a text editor. for the use alongside scribus, 'libreOffice' or 'openOffice' are the better choice than 'word' – because you may import formatted text (including paragraph styles).

utnik

GRI BUONGIORNE

• Scribus User
    • GRIZZLY TRANSLATIONS
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 01:51:14 am »
hi silvia

usually scribus is going to make things more complicated first – but that's the same (or even worse) with other dtp software…

if you're doing the whole layout work besides your translations, scribus may be a good help.
for the translations i would still use a text editor. for the use alongside scribus, 'libreOffice' or 'openOffice' are the better choice than 'word' – because you may import formatted text (including paragraph styles).

Thanks utnik, not sure if I have libre office or open office capability, I use Pages/Word and so far using Scribus has me doing alot of tweaking as well since it's not compatible with my text program...or maybe I'm not getting what you mean... :-[

utnik
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
           -- Daniel J. Boorstin

utnik

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:06:01 am »
hi silvia

…Scribus has me doing alot of tweaking as well since it's not compatible with my text program…

scribus is compatible with each text program. with oo and lo it offers a nice suplementary feature…

btw. you should write your text outside of the quotes from another post.

utnik
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:07:42 am by utnik »

Nermander

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:17:14 am »
If I understand you correct, your main goal is to import a scanned document as a "backgrouond" and then place the translated text on top of it?

Scribus can do that, but depending on your need Scribus may be a bit overkill. I think the same thing could be done in for example Inkscape, maybe even in Open/Libre Office (I haven't tried placing a scanned image as background in Libre Office so I'm not sure how easy it is).

palmate