Create a "Middle Dot", how?

Previous topic - Next topic

navguy12

Hello again,

I'm trying to emulate an existing magazine set-up and the footers include a "middle dot" between the footer text and the actual page number character.

I tried going into keyboard short-cuts and tried to make my own with no luck (see screen-shot attached).

Whats the trick to set up a way to make "middle dots"?

Thanks

Cheers

mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

Mike, while you're editing text go to menu "Insert -> Character -> Middle Dot". (Unless I've totally misunderstood your requirements that is.)

navguy12

Garry,

QuoteMike, while you're editing text go to menu "Insert -> Character -> Middle Dot". (Unless I've totally misunderstood your requirements that is.)
;D

You just made my day, thanks!

Cheers

Mike

GarryP

You're welcome Mike.

So often this sort of thing is right under your nose if you only know where to look in the first place. (The number of times I've missed something like this myself is something I'd prefer not to share!)

Nermander

But part of the question remains: Is it possible to set a shortcut for the glyph? In that case, how? (I haven't had a look at it, maybe it's self evident.)

At work I do a lot of technical writing so I've set up keyboard shortcuts for micro, ohm, delta, degrees and a few others characters. In my case I've used Ctrl-Alt-x as a prefix key and the followed by o for ohm, g for degrees (grader in swedish), u for micro, d for delta etc.

GarryP

Yes, setting up a shortcut for that is easy (although not exactly obvious).

* Go to "Preferences / Keyboard Shortcuts".
* Locate "Insert > Middle Dot" and select it.
* Click the "User Defined Key" radio icon.
* Press "Set Key".
* Use the keyboard combination you want.
* OK the dialog.

It worked fine for me using the key combination I tried on OSX but there might be clashes with other OS/combinations.