gimp add-on or plug-in??

Previous topic - Next topic

merijn

Hello,

I just started using Scribus a few days ago, sofar no real problems but when I right mouse click on a picture it has two options for editing that picture (I am using Scribus in dutch and they're called "afbeelding bewerken" and "afbeelding bijwerken" so if I try to translate I might get it wrong)
One of those options does nothing and the other gives me an error that GIMP is missing. I do have GIMP on my pc and I often use it (as a beginner) and I would like to know what I need to do to get GIMP working in or with Scribus.

I hope someone can help me.

Grtz Merijn

merijn

I found out what the translations are...

The error that says "missing GIMP"  is edit picture
The one that does nothing is "update image" in the english version

Grtz Merijn

Meho R.

1. "Update image" doesn't do anything if you haven't changed the image. Scribus doesn't include images into the .sla file, but link to them. So, if you have changed the image externally (e.g., using GIMP) while Scribus is still running, clicking "Update image" will, well, update the image and show the changes.

2. For GIMP, you probably should add the full path to GIMP's .exe file: In Scribus, go to File > Preferences > External Tools > Image Processing Tool and specify the exact path to GIMP.

Wena

Thank you Meho  for that information, I had the same trouble as the person who started the thread but your advice did the trick!

But I wanted an image of 300 DPI and by the info report in Scirbus 1.4 it had been reduced, is that correct. and how can I get it higher?

File: Starla_3 b.jpg
Original PPI: 300 x 300
Actual PPI: 177 x 177
Colorspace: RGB
Print: Enabled

Wena

utnik

hello wena

what is the resolution of your original picture? (in real pixels - not in ppi...)
you need at least 300 pixels per inch (or 12 pixels per mm) of the final output size, the indicated 'original ppi' have nothing to do with it.
scribus may reduce the resolution to a chosen value, but it will never 'blow up' an image to more pixels!

utnik

Wena

LS if I remember correctly asks for 300 DPI and not PPI, but I will have a look ans see just to make sure.

My post shows that the graphic that Scribus has in the work I have done is/was 300 DPI, or has it changed?

But if it is supposed to be 300 PPI how do I so that?

Wena

Meho R.

Please note that this thread has nothing to do with resolution issues, but this one does, so, you might want to continue discussion there instead of going off-topic here.

Wena

So, is there an add-on or something  so I can get a color management in Gimp 2.6. With your advice on this thread I have been able to get to Gimp directly from Scribus 1.4. 5. ?

Wena

utnik

hi wena

instead of adding your problems at every second thread, you should open an own one...

...for the color management in gimp try this: http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-pimping.html#gimp-prefs-color-management or ask in a gimp forum.

once more i recommend to keep the pictures in rgb (with included profile) till you generate the final pdf.
so you can keep color management in gimp simple (for most pictures from compact cameras srgb will be sufficient and for a scanner you will find a profile at the manufacturers website...)
but you have to learn color management anyway – for generating a reliable print pdf you have to deal with it...

utnik

a.l.e

wena,

may i ask you if your monitor is calibrated?
is your room light under control?

if not, all your efforts to get the color management workflow straight, won't have as much influence on the color accuracy as you may wish.

there is so much to learn about DTP... and i fear that -- for your first steps -- you're not setting the best priorities...

have a nice evening
a.l.e