Transfering Scribus PC to PC

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassi

I use Scribus to publich a classic car magazine. Its a great programme. How do I transfer a Scribus file from one PC to another, that already has Scribus loaded. Use a CDR - how ??? I need to do this so that if one PC goes down I can use the other without having to build up all the details in the scapbook (advertisers etc.). Many thanks for any help !!!

Nermander

Caution!! Test everything first to see if it works as expected.

To transfer documents, use Collect for output (it will collect all images and fonts used in the document into one folder).

The scrapbook is just folders I think, so I would try to Zip them and unzip on the target machine. Of course a file-by-file copy would probably work too, but a Zip file is easier to transfer.

Settings are stored in a XML file, but I'm not sure of the exact location, other will have to fill in there.

utnik

hi tassi

the exact location of the main scrapbook depends on the operating system.
...but the third icon in the 'scrapbook' window is to 'save the selected scrapbook' and the second to 'load an existing scrapbook' – with this two options you should be able to transfer your scrapbooks to every computer.

utnik

GarryP

Tassi, have you thought about using Scribus as a Portable App?

You can get more info here http://portableapps.com/ and here http://portableapps.com/apps/office/scribus_portable

Basically you can run Scribus from a USB stick which you take with you between PCs.

All of your settings will be kept with the app on the USB so you don't need to worry about them.

And you can set aside some USB space to save your scrapbook to - as per the instructions suggested by utnik - so you can keep that with you also.

Depending on the size of your document and all of its related files you can probably store that on the USB stick - if it's large enough - and have your Scribus "environment" in your pocket wherever you go.

I think it's worth looking into (and it's currently aligned with the latest desktop version).

But please make sure you take regular backups of your files; USBs aren't bombproof!