Saving Header Text Box and Contents

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob P

Working on my book in Scribus. One by one I am solving my problems with the help of posters on this forum. Still learning Scribus.

My latest issue is finding best way to get headers on the top of each page other than manually putting the header on each page. The header for the left page will be the name of the book, name of author, page number and a line underneath the text extending from left to right margins. The header for the right page will be Name of Chapter, page number and a line underneath the text extending from left to right margins. I tried using the scrapbook but, for some reason, it did not work on the line. This all has to be put in after putting in the body text. Otherwise, it will not flow from one page to another.

Can anyone give me suggestions for the best way to handle this?

Bob P

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: Bob P on June 29, 2011, 03:24:07 PMMy latest issue is finding best way to get headers on the top of each page other than manually putting the header on each page. The header for the left page will be the name of the book, name of author, page number and a line underneath the text extending from left to right margins. The header for the right page will be Name of Chapter, page number and a line underneath the text extending from left to right margins. I tried using the scrapbook but, for some reason, it did not work on the line. This all has to be put in after putting in the body text. Otherwise, it will not flow from one page to another.

This is what master pages are for. The concept is completely different than the way a word processor would do it, but much more flexible.
Linguistics on Linux!

Meho R.

Note that Scribus still doesn't have a mechanism to automatically recognize and change chapter titles in headers, so you'll probably need the following master pages scheme:

1. One master page for all left/even pages, since it doesn't change throughout the document
2. One master page for all right/odd pages in a chapter. You'll need the same number of these pages as the number of chapters, i.e., one master page per chapter.
3. Optional: one left master page for empty left pages, if your chapters always start at right/odd pages.

Of course, there will probably be more, like those for table of content, title page, copyright page etc., but these are the basic ones.

I recommend that you apply master pages as the last step in your book preparation process, once you're sure there will be no more changes to the layout.

You create and edit master pages in Edit > Master Pages. Applying master pages is done via Page > Apply Master Page. You have couple of options to apply master pages automatically or manually.

Bob P

Bob P

I appreciate the input, guys. I have followed your suggestions on setting up Master Pages and, with one exception, they work like a charm. The first chapter of my book has only four pages. I made the necessary Master Pages and using File>Document Settings>sections I got every page numbered correctly.

Now, for the exception! I planned on saving each chapter in a separate file and have done so for the first two chapters. However, I have been unable to get Chapter 2 to number the pages.

In Sections Window I entered following:
   Name: Chapter 2
   Shown: Checked
   Style: 1,2,3...
   Start: 5
   Clicked Apply and OK.

Do I need to adopt a different way to save files in order to tie the chapters together or is there something else I need to know?

As Always, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob P.