opening a pdf

Previous topic - Next topic

amasa

Greetings all

I've been using Scribus for some months and am very pleased with it.  I have used it primarily to produce a small book and have used the conversion to pdf facility to save the book as a pdf file. This has worked very well.  I can produce the file, and then re-open the pdf file to make minor adjustments.

I now have the need to convert some html pages to pdfs. I have used Firefox print to pdf to produce a pdf, and the app wkhtmltopdf to produce an alternative pdf.  However neither of these will open in Scribus, even though the will open in Adobe Reader.  What am I doing wrong?

utnik

hi chris

scribus doesn't open .pdf files. .pdf is meant as a final format (for print, plot, screen readers...)
you might open (import) the file in inkscape – or place it in an image frame of a scribus document.

utnik

amasa

Thanks utnik

I had a feeling that might be the case.  However, Scribus does write my stuff to a pdf, and then reads it back.  And the pdf it writes is readable in Adobe Reader.  Is there some sort of block in Scribus that prevents it reading pdf's other than ones it has written?  And if so, why would that be so?

Chris

utnik

hi chris

Quote from: chrisbagley on August 12, 2014, 03:44:43 PM...Scribus does write my stuff to a pdf, and then reads it back...

i never did this before (hadn't to...) – but i just tryed with some files, they did open, but depending on the complexity of them with better or worse results...

QuoteIs there some sort of block in Scribus that prevents it reading pdf's other than ones it has written?

i don't think so...

utnik

calliwhiz

Quote from: utnik on August 13, 2014, 08:57:17 PM
hi chris

Quote from: chrisbagley on August 12, 2014, 03:44:43 PM...Scribus does write my stuff to a pdf, and then reads it back...

i never did this before (hadn't to...) – but i just tryed with some files, they did open, but depending on the complexity of them with better or worse results...

QuoteIs there some sort of block in Scribus that prevents it reading pdf's other than ones it has written?

i don't think so...

utnik
Is there an update on this?  I'm kind of facing a similar situation where I need to open some large .pdf files in scribus to edit but can't.  Thanks!

utnik

hi calliwhiz

tey to get hold on the source files – scribus is not a .pdf editor (and .pdf is really meant as a final format!)

utnik