Curved text frames

Previous topic - Next topic

jsg91

In a follow up to my previous question http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,1429.0.html, I now have some text frames with one curved edge, is there a way to keep a constant gap between the curved edge and the text? I can set the text distance in properties but this seems to use a straight line behind the text frame, making it look a bit weird. I've tried to set up a contour line but the text went straight over it.

GarryP

The contour line of an object is used to tell other objects with text how to flow the text around that object. It does not affect the text within the same object.

The easiest way to do what you want would be to make the object with the curved edge smaller. If you need a background -  colour, or whatever - for the text then duplicate the text frame, convert the duplicate to a polygon, then resize the original (or the duplicate). It's not a particularly neat way of doing it but it works. (See attached image. The interior grey line is just to show the outline of the "inner" frame; it doesn't need to be there.)

I don't think there's a way to "keep text behind a line" that is curved because Scribus always "closes" a contour line so the line would be joined at both ends making a shape instead of a line. If you know what I mean. It's difficult to explain but try drawing a curve and editing the contour line and seeing what happens when you try and flow text around it. (And a contour line on a straight line - or a straight bezier curve segment - is pretty useless.)

Sorry but I don't think there's a neat answer. Or, at least, I've not yet found one myself. I'd be happy for someone to tell me otherwise though.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jsg91

I suspected I would have to do something like that, but you never know what could be hiding in the program. Doing it like this still looks good. Thanks again for your help!

GarryP

Any time.

If I come up with an alternative I'll try and remember to post it here.