Can I get this (or similar) effect? How?

Previous topic - Next topic

clansman

Can I get this (or similar) effect? How?

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

clansman, which effect are you trying to achieve?

The image is very small so I'm having difficulty seeing it properly but even so I can see many different types of "effect". Which is it you are looking to re-create?

clansman

This "scribble, scrabble" ( i can't find a better name) effect in column (text background).

Thanks for your help in any case!

GarryP

Hmm, "scribble scrabble" is a good enough name for it I suppose.

If it's the border you're trying to make - I can't see the text well enough - then trying to re-create a border like that with only the tools available in Scribus would take a lot of time and patience and you'd probably still not come up with anything satisfactory.

Scribus isn't really a graphics tool. It has some graphics capabilities but they're not really up to this kind of thing and I wouldn't expect them to be.

My suggestion would be to do a Google Image search - other search engines are available, of course - and search for "image border distressed". You'll find lots of examples.

Find one that's free to use - most will probably need paying for but if you're okay with that then that's great - and insert it into an image frame, or import the vector file if it's an SVG. Then put one or more text frames on top of it and add your text.

If that's not good enough then I think your best bet is creating something in Inkscape - it's much better at that sort of thing - then importing the SVG into Scribus.

Either that or, and I could be wrong here, but I vaguely remember GIMP having some kind of "border effect" functionality which might give you something reasonable, or at least a starting point.

Or, and I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, you could check with your local library and see if they have any really old posters or manuscripts. (Libraries are one of the places where people who create these kind of border images go to get them.) The items are usually out of copyright and you could take a photo - get permission first just in case you might damage the document with the flash - and then use GIMP to "blank-out" the bits you don't want.

That last one is a bit of a long-shot but it depends how much you really want that border. (Either way you might get some inspiration, so who knows?)

clansman

This is the answer I was looking for.

Thank you very much!

leaf

clansman
Try my file, check his structure for learning.

[attachment deleted by admin]