installing scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiwen

HI, I instal scriobus on my 10.6.8 mac. Biut when dubble klick to open I get the instal procedure. I'd uninstal, intal 4 times but its the same song going. Can you help me out here? :(
Thank you...

GarryP

Aiwen, try installing from a DMG instead of something else. (There's no install procedure using a DMG, just a simple drag operation.)

Go to this page: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Download and click on "Mac OS X DMG (Intel only, Leopard (10.5) or higher)" then, after you've been sent to the SourgeForge site and the DMG file has been downloaded, just open the DMG (double-click) and drag the Scribus icon from its window to your Applications folder.

You should now be able to open Scribus from your Applications folder.

Once installed, drag the Scribus DMG image (it looks like a drive icon) from your desktop to the trash to eject it. Just the Scribus DMG image though, not any other icon that looks remotely like a drive or you could cause yourself major problems.

soakedlontra

I am trying to install Scribus in my MacBook Pro OS X Version  10.9.5. I followed GaryP's instructions but when I try to open Scribus from my applications folder a window shows up with the following note: "Scribus.app" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

utnik

hi soakedlontra

try it with a right click (or 'ctrl' + click) and chose open from the context menu – after the first run you can launch scribus by double click...

utnik

GarryP

To expand on utnik's answer a little bit, in case anyone is interested, this issue is not Scribus-specific.

It actually comes from the way OSX - from Mountain Lion (10.8.?) onwards - handles application installations that haven't come through the AppStore. It's a feature of OSX called Gatekeeper that tries to stop applications installing/running that it doesn't already trust.

Here's an explanation with an alternative way of changing the settings more generally: http://osxdaily.com/2013/11/08/bypass-gatekeeper-mac-os-x-security-prefs/

The pros and cons of Gatekeeper can be debated endlessly elsewhere on the web.

soakedlontra

Quote from: GarryP on October 14, 2014, 01:42:42 PM
To expand on utnik's answer a little bit, in case anyone is interested, this issue is not Scribus-specific.

It actually comes from the way OSX - from Mountain Lion (10.8.?) onwards - handles application installations that haven't come through the AppStore. It's a feature of OSX called Gatekeeper that tries to stop applications installing/running that it doesn't already trust.

Here's an explanation with an alternative way of changing the settings more generally: http://osxdaily.com/2013/11/08/bypass-gatekeeper-mac-os-x-security-prefs/

The pros and cons of Gatekeeper can be debated endlessly elsewhere on the web.

Thank you very much folks!

GarryP I am glad that you have expanded utniks's answer because all the suggested clicks did not work.

Now there is another hurdle: installing Ghoststrip (something that I have never heard before). From what I have read so far there are different versions, which one I am supposed to install in my operating system? I have read that "
The most current releases of Ghostscript are always available via MacPorts". I went there but I could not see a way to install it.

utnik

hi soakedlontra

Quote from: soakedlontra on October 14, 2014, 06:11:32 PM...installing Ghostscript...
...I could not see a way to install it.

i installed mine as part of a macTex distribution – but take a look at richard koch's site – there is an installer package for ghastscript 9.15.

utnik

soakedlontra

Quote from: utnik on October 14, 2014, 06:50:16 PM
hi soakedlontra

Quote from: soakedlontra on October 14, 2014, 06:11:32 PM...installing Ghostscript...
...I could not see a way to install it.

i installed mine as part of a macTex distribution – but take a look at richard koch's site – there is an installer package for ghastscript 9.15.

Oh Dear! This is more than I can chew, my computer/Mac knowledge is pretty basic so I don't understand what they are talking about in the first link and when I clicked in the second my Mac is telling me that Ghostscript can harm my computer so I did not downloaded it. My big worry is to install something that will screw up my Mac. Is this Ghostscript really necessary for using Scribus?

utnik

utnik

hi soakedlontra

Quote from: soakedlontra on October 15, 2014, 04:53:17 PM...my Mac is telling me that Ghostscript can harm my computer...
ghostscript won't harm your computer.

QuoteIs this Ghostscript really necessary for using Scribus?
ghostscript is used for .eps and .ps import and for .ps export (maybe for something else too) – most functions in scribus will work without gs. if you don't like the idea to install it, keep your system ghostscript free as long as you don't need it...

utnik

soakedlontra

Quoteghostscript is used for .eps and .ps import and for .ps export (maybe for something else too) – most functions in scribus will work without gs. if you don't like the idea to install it, keep your system ghostscript free as long as you don't need it...

utnik

OK thanks!

soakedlontra

Hi Utnik! Sorry to bother you again but I tried to export my Scribus file as a PDF file and failed  (http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,1514.0.html)

Do you think that I have this problem because I did not install Ghostscript?

utnik

hi soakedlontra

Quote from: soakedlontra on October 18, 2014, 09:19:19 PMDo you think that I have this problem because I did not install Ghostscript?
no – see my answer on the other thread...

utnik