sending files

Previous topic - Next topic

Elysianknight

Hi there, wondered if you good folks could help a technically inept beginner.

As a group we have started using Scribus to create a project. We have started with the basics, but when we email the .sla to each other, the images are missing. we also send it as a pdf, and the images are there, so we are confused as to why they're lost from the .sla document.

As yet, we are one platform (Windows 7), but some group members will be mac based.

Thanks for your help

utnik

hi elysianknight

in the .sla file there are no images – only image frames and links to the placed images.
if you like to send the whole project to someone else (or to another computer), you should send an archive with the .sla file, all the images and for a complete set all the used fonts and color profiles. ('file' → 'collect for output')

utnik

GarryP

Elysianknight, you've said that you're a beginner but I don't know if you're just a beginner with Scribus or with DTP or with computing in general so I don't know how to best word this advice to put it in the correct context, so I'll just say it and you can reply if you need clarification.

One thing you'll need to be aware of if you're exchanging the files related to a Scribus document - using the "Collect for Output" function as recommended by utnik - is that the fonts you use may not be available (or usable) on some systems.

If you or someone else uses a font that isn't one of the "web standard" fonts - Arial, Times New Roman, etc. (all of the boring ones) - anyone else wanting to edit or view the SLA may also need to install that font. Otherwise there will be a font substitution and the document may not look the same.

This may or may not be a problem depending on the font in question. For example, some Microsoft fonts can't be used on non-Microsoft machines because of copyright issues and the like. The same is true for some Apple fonts, but some fonts are perfectly usable on most machines.

Also, certain types of fonts are problematic when trying to use them on certain types of machine. Fonts, in general, can be Postscript, TrueType or OpenType and some systems don't like using certain types of fonts under different circumstances. It's difficult to give any general recommendations as there are so many permutations but this link may give you a start in finding out more information: http://www.fileinfo.com/help/fonts_mac_windows

And make sure you don't install two fonts of different types with the same name. This can confuse many systems and applications.

All of this may not be a problem for you - and I hope it isn't - but if you check first before you use a font it can help to lessen any issues along the way.

Oh, and be careful when downloading free fonts from the web. Some of them aren't very well put together and can create all kinds of problems. Find a trusted source - this is a good place to start: http://openfontlibrary.org/ - and make sure everyone in the group can install and use the font on their machine before using it in your project.

I hope some of this helps and I wish you luck with your Scribus work.

utnik

hi garry

Quote from: GarryP on July 15, 2014, 02:18:21 PM...the fonts you use may not be available (or usable) on some systems.

you're right, this was a common problem in the past – and there are still some platform specific fonts. but today most font files are platform independent.

Quote...anyone else wanting to edit or view the SLA may also need to install that font. Otherwise there will be a font substitution and the document may not look the same.

with 'file' → 'collect for output' the font files are in the same directory as the .sla file. if you keep them there, you don't have to install anything. the directory of the .sla file is one of the spots where scribus searches for fonts.

in general, the cross platform font problem is gone for good. but for the rare exeptions it's good to know about it.
i work on macOS, linux and sometimes windows – with the same main set of font files...

utnik

GarryP

Hi utnik.

Thanks for reminding me about Scribus' ability to use fonts in the document folder. I'd forgotten about that.

I'll have to give it a try sometime to see if it gets me round a problem I have when I add new fonts to my system.

Cheers, Garry.