A few questions. Help, please.

Previous topic - Next topic

mobot

1. Page orientation
Hi. I just downloaded Scribus 1.4.4 (using a PC, Windows 8). I was trying to create a template and selected ledger to get the 11x17 format. I want to view it as landscape but even if I select landscape, the page appears like a portrait format on my screen. What am I missing here?

Second thing... shortcuts.
I found some Scribus shortcuts online, but not quite what I was looking for. I am used to being able to hold down a few keys and enlarge/decrease an image or shrink to fit, etc. without opening up a menu like the Scribus F2 menu. For example, when I was using an old version of Quark I could hold down something like ctrl, alt, shift and the greater than or less than keys to quickly adjust the size. There was also a shortcut for fit to box (one shortcut distorted the image, one adjusted it to scale). Is there anything like that in Scribus? Most tutorials I have found just tell you to select "scale to frame size" or something like that, but I want more flexibility/do not want to have to adjust frame size each time. It took coming to this board for me to find out you have to double click a picture box in order to be able to move the image with the mouse. Thank goodness for this board.

Lastly, Contour Line
Is there a tutorial for the contour line feature? I saw posts about it but I have no idea how to actually use it. I see where the choice is, but then I don't know how to create the clipping path around the object or even how to define the offset distance. I see a ton of buttons but not sure how to use them. I even read the Scribus manual tips but I'd like to see someone demonstrate as I'm still a bit lost.

Thanks!!

mobot

Ignore question 1. Issue resolved.

leaf

Own KeyBoard Shortcuts there is here File -> Preferences -> KeyBoard Shortcuts and in righ window is possible to set own keyboard shortcuts.

I attach 2 screen with my reply

[attachment deleted by admin]

mobot

Thank you very much. There were a few things I was confused about but between your help and a hint from a friend the program has been easier to navigate. I didn't realize that once you set the box to fit to frame then you can move the frame and it will enlarge along with you (and holding ctrl will keep the frame against the pic. Had no idea). I also was confused about what contour line really meant. I was trying to create my own clipping path under that setting but then realized I should have been selecting "Use Frame Shape." Maybe that explains why the nodes I made in the wrong setting didn't seem to do anything.

There isn't a shortcut for everything and the box where you type in your own short cut didn't work on the ones that didn't have a preset short cut (at least, not for me. Maybe I did something wrong). I didn't try to change any existing ones. But either way, that is a good reference list for me.

Thanks, again!

leaf

mobot

Thanks. My timing was off. I was tying to assign a key and then hit "set key" or when I thought I had selected set key I hadn't actually (it didn't turn blue). Got it now. :)