Compounding column margin /w image contour

Previous topic - Next topic

JackGruff

Hi Everyone,

When I set the distance of text from the side(s) of a column inside a text frame, I expect that distance to be independent of everything else.

Also, if I understand correctly, if one wants to give a picture a buffer to stop text wrapping around it very close, you just enlarge its contour line and set that for text wrapping.

Here's the problem, Scribus is adding the distance of the column margins to the contour line with images that "push" up against a text frame.

See attachment for example, note how the text is further away from the image than intended.

I'm using Scribus 1.4.x, but this issue is also in 1.3.x

-Gruff

[attachment deleted by admin]

Admin

It looks logical. Scribus is using the contour line of the image frame as the border of the text frame. I think you should forgo the image contour line in this case and use the text settings to get the effect  you intended. See the attachment.

Scribus Forum Admin. Please PM with questions if you are having administrative problems with the forum.

JackGruff

It may seem logical to you as it is now, but it isn't to me.

Look at this:

The inside margin of the text box has been set to 1 cm.

Publisher honours both measurements and doesn't make second guesses about it.

In the end of the day, the problem may stem from me having to use contour line to mimic the distance-from-text feature other DTP application have.

Scribus needs to let the user define text wrapping distance to images specifically.

Admin

Quote from: JackGruff on February 25, 2011, 07:24:29 PM
It may seem logical to you as it is now, but it isn't to me.

<snip>

The inside margin of the text box has been set to 1 cm.

Publisher honours both measurements and doesn't make second guesses about it.

In the end of the day, the problem may stem from me having to use contour line to mimic the distance-from-text feature other DTP application have.

Scribus needs to let the user define text wrapping distance to images specifically.

Please file a bug report at bugs.scribus.net for full team review.
Scribus Forum Admin. Please PM with questions if you are having administrative problems with the forum.