page placement

Previous topic - Next topic

Karela

I am sure this is a pretty basic one but it has been bothering me for the last few multi-page projects I have done:

How can I move pages so that they are side by side, and when I add more of them, they continue in a horizontal manner?

I feel like I am fumbling around in the dark, because my pages usually they are on top of one another (which is difficult to visualize how the image meets when the booklet is open) but sometimes they are diagonal, which makes me feel like I am always scrolling around finding things. I have no idea how they end up with these different placements.

I am about to begin a 70 page booklet and am starting to worry...

utnik

hi karela

if you select a 'double sided' layout with 'right page' first, the pages will show up side by side (as double pages – like in the printed booklet...)
of course the first two pages will be placed diagonally!

utnik

Karela

That already looks a lot better! How firmly fixed is recto/verso? Can that be changed later- I am still not 100% sure on final page placement and I seem to receive new texts every day!

As well, for doing a huge document of 70 pages, would it be advisable to group them into files of smaller groups- say by groups of 10 or 20 pages?

utnik

hi karela

Quote from: Karela on May 28, 2014, 05:36:34 PMHow firmly fixed is recto/verso?

i don't know any problems with this.
as long as you insert or delete an even number of pages, your double pages will persist. if you insert one single page in the middle of the document, you have to edit all the following pages...

Quote...for doing a huge document of 70 pages, would it be advisable to group them into files of smaller groups...

some users split their files. i never do it, unless a really heavy file slows down the programm. (but i import longer texts from libre office and split the chains of the automatic text frames after each chapter...)

utnik

Karela

I mean, if I need to make a recto page into a verso. Lets just say that the people I am working with need it quickly but keep changing the text, so I would like to keep that option open.

Along the same lines, how does it work with the bleed when you do the two page layout, does the right page not have left bleed and vice versa?

I am sure these are simple questions, thus far I have only worked with programmes that gave each page individually and I let the printer crop off the extra.

utnik

Quote from: Karela on May 29, 2014, 07:36:17 PM...if I need to make a recto page into a verso. Lets just say that the people I am working with need it quickly but keep changing the text, so I would like to keep that option open.

no problem, as long as your layout isn't sensitiv about this.

Quote...how does it work with the bleed when you do the two page layout, does the right page not have left bleed and vice versa?

take a look at the bleed settings! – in a double page layout, you can set different bleed values for 'inside', 'outside', 'top' and 'bottom', in single page mode it's 'left', 'right', 'top' and 'bottom'...

utnik

Karela

What happens if I place an image over two pages? Will it put half of it on one and half on the other, or do I need to paste it in two different boxes?

Kunda

@Karela
Great question. IMO you should start a new thread for this. That way others can find it instead of it getting buried in the comments

/Kunda