Work around for android tablet?

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwi-eb

I have started to use Scribus on my W7 laptop (with low res screen).
I wanted to use Scribus on my 4.0 Android tablet with a much better screen resolution and definitely more vibrant colors.
I could PDF newsletters drafts I am working and copy from my laptop to my tablet and show to clients when I visit with them, but that seems like a lot of work, and I could not make changes on the spot. I got enough stuff to carry around without the weight of a boat anchor (laptop).
Is there a fix around to get Scribus onto an Android tablet without rooting?  I did not see a download on Google Play. Has anyone used the portable version connected via a usb port?

Nermander

Is it even possible to run Scribus under Android?

I think it would have to be specifically built for Android, and I don't think that is easy... It looks as if there is a special version of Qt5 for Android.

joeyeti

Quote from: Nermander on April 17, 2014, 12:00:00 PM
Is it even possible to run Scribus under Android?

I think it would have to be specifically built for Android, and I don't think that is easy... It looks as if there is a special version of Qt5 for Android.
Not only that, I believe anything ported to Android would have to undergo broad testing due to the plethora of potential devices (unlike iOS versions, where Apple keeps everything close to the chest, so to speak). These applications are thus very hard to do for Android properly - unless a big dedicated team works on that.

GordCaswell

Quote from: kiwi-eb on April 16, 2014, 09:54:38 PM
<snip>
Is there a fix around to get Scribus onto an Android tablet without rooting?  I did not see a download on Google Play. Has anyone used the portable version connected via a usb port?</snip>

At the moment, Scribus is not available for Android (or iOS, Blackberry, etc.), nor are there plans (to the best of my knowledge) to port to these platforms.

The portable port is for Windows only, but also works with wine and its variants, so IF you could find a wine-like android app, you might be able to run it that way, but there's no guarantee.