the letter 'L' doesn't export well to pdf

Previous topic - Next topic

Piet Van Meerbeek

Hellop, I have problems exporting text to pdf. When I do, the letter 'l' lots of times (not always) comes out broader then the others. Like a fat, greasy mark. Ugly. (See attachment, especially the text in the middle).

I have tried several fonts and that doesn't seem to have an influence.

I have tried embedding the font or not embedding: no change.

I have tried preferences set on subset or without subset. Result stays the same.

And the compression quality and the resolution don't seem to have an influence either.

Any suggestions someone?

Thank you in advance.

Wäsp.

[attachment deleted by admin]

leaf

In Your pdf text is in curves.
Adobe Reader sees letter L and I as lines, not as font. In this program is option - extend thin lines in preferences, so just turn off this option.

Solution 2 - use other program, for example PDF-XChange PDF Viewer.

Nermander

I bet you only see the "fat" 'L' on screen, not in print?

It's because for outlines there is no hinting, hinting can only be done with an embedded font.

https://www.typotheque.com/articles/hinting

Piet Van Meerbeek

Hello Nermander & leaf. Thank you for you help. Sorry I took so long to show any gratitude. Been out of order some time.

But it does seem to print all right indeed.

Piet

mnawij

This has been a known issue in every version of acrobat as far back as I can remember.  Quick question, are you outlining the fonts in the .pdf?  I see this 9 times out of 10 with outlined fonts, and occasionally with embedded fonts.

Nermander

As been said earlier, it's because of lacking hint information. See the link I posted.