[SOLVED] Border of imported .SVG larger than actual object

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidBrennan

I created a simple .SVG image in Inkscape and imported it into Scribus (this is my standard routine).  However, in this instance I am having an odd and frustrating problem with these simple shapes: in Scribus, their borders are much larger than the actual object itself.  This is preventing me from "snapping to" appropriate parts of the page (and it's also just irritating!)

Here is a screencap of the problem, and I've also attached the relevant .SVG file:

[attachment deleted by admin]

DavidBrennan

Okay, the reason that Scribus was expanding the vector objects' borders was because Scribus makes the perimeter of the vector object to cover the entire terrain of the vector - even the node handles! 

Inkscape does not do this, nor should Scribus, in my opinion: the border of vector objects should be the border of the actual perimeter of the shapes.

Nermander

I think the issue is that the object is "framed" within a square frame, what makes the border go "outside" the lower right corner are the parts in the lower left and upper right corners.

DavidBrennan

Yeah, but the node handles, because they are invisible to the end user, should not define the object's border for placement.  In Inkscape, for instance, when you grab a curve and move it around, its borders are defined by the edges of the curve's footprint - not the node handles.  Honestly, I think that using the node handles to define the perimeter is just silly.

Nermander

And they don't.

This is what limits the outer edges of the outline, not the node handles. You can try it out by extending the node handles, the outline will not change.

utnik

hi nermander

david is right! – the problem lies in the interpretation of the size of vector graphics.
unfortunately scribus interprets the handles as part of the graphics...
the overlapping corners are a result of this handle issue when you align this elements centered.

@davidbrennan: please, file a bug report on bugs.scribus.net.

utnik

DavidBrennan

utnik,

I just tried to file a Bug Report, but (a) you cannot log in with the Scribus Forums user info, so I then (b) looked for a place to create a new account for the site, but I couldn't find where to do it.  The Login page does not allow you to create a new account, only use an existing one.

Nermander

Registration has (if I recall correct) been turned off to prevent spammers. I don't remember who you should ask for an account, try to post to the mailing list.

DavidBrennan

Quote from: Nermander on March 20, 2014, 08:02:58 AM
Registration has (if I recall correct) been turned off to prevent spammers. I don't remember who you should ask for an account, try to post to the mailing list.
Can one of you just post it?  I think a simple link to this thread should be most of the report.

utnik

hi david

i'll post it.
what's your operating system and scribus version?
may i use your background shape?

utnik

Nermander

Since I was fooled by that image I think it's better to use another.

I used this one when testing (and then I realised my analysis was incorrect:).

Also attaching screen dumps of how the shape looks in Inkscape and Scribus (this is 1.4.0 though, that's what I have as Scribus Portable on my USB thumb).

utnik

the id of the report is 12153

edit: the bug was reported in 2008 under the id 7661 – looks like a tough one.
        it's one of the 93 open bugs which prevent scribus 1.5.0 from being published...

DavidBrennan

kuz

Has a workaround been found for this? I am trying to import a SVG file that is "cropped" and having similar difficulties. In my case its partial hidden objects that are being imported and i can't figure out how to resize the image to the right scale. 

In inkscape, btw, there is no cropping function but a clip or path-intersection functions that seem to hide the part of the image you don't want. I tried saving as a PDF file and then reimporting into inkscape and resaving as an SVG file but still the same problem.

Nermander

According to the bug tracker this is fixed in 1.5.0 (which will be released soon).