resizing a group

Previous topic - Next topic

Karela

This is the first real job I have done in scribus, and my apologies if this topic has already been covered:

I have sketched 4 different logos for a client, and one ended up much larger than the others. I want to resize it, so I have grouped the elements (2 lines of text and 1 shape) using the "group" button in the xyz property inspector, and then tried to both  resize manually (holding shift and dragging the corner of the box) and in the property inspector (changing the width with proportions locked).

With both methods, the shape runs into the text and eventually the text jumps a line. It appears that rather than resizing the text I am resizing the text box. As well, the proportions for the shape change.

Clearly I am doing something wrong, so any tips would be much appreciated!

Nermander

As far as I know that is a known bug, resizing an object does NOT change the size of the text inside.

If the text is static you can convert it to outlines (vectors). Then it will resize.

Karela

Thanks Nermander, that did the trick!

So I guess if you want to change the tracking there is likewise no way to do it by stretching and pulling at the text blocks?

Karela

A few years later and I find myself with the same question, this time less related to text and more to the idea of a group as a whole.

I designed some tickets last year, and some one just asked for a sheet with a few examples on it. It would be much easier to just copy the ticket page in scribus and paste it in the new scribus document, but in the interest of getting more tickets per page, I need to resize the ticket.

I understand the text aspect, so I converted it to outlines. The problem is the images (background and logo) that make up the ticket. Once again, I end up stuck resizing the box, not the image. My background image overhangs on one side, so simply selecting "fit to frame" and resizing won't work.

Is there no way to select a group and "lock" all the elements in place?  (I ended up exporting to pdf, converting to jpg and importing back to scribus. I find it hard to believe that this is the most efficient workflow, especially considering that I have 10 tickets).

utnik

hi karela

there is at least one known issue related to resized groups (13508 about line widths) – but yours is something different.
i think, the best thing might be an option to select, if the content should be scaled with the frame or kept unchanged. (i would prefer scaling as a standard...)

this might be worth to place to the bug tracker as a feature request.

utnik

a.l.e

hi karela

i'm not 100% sure that i understand your problem...

anyway, in the development version, rescaling a group rescales the content, too.
since it's has not been done also for 1.4, i guess that the code is too different and you will have to wait for the feature being available to the masses...

but there is a small little hope... pressing alt while resizing leads to the content being resized, too...
but there seems to be a bug, when multiple images are resized...
i've now posted a bug report: http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=13552
we will see if this also gets fixed and if it gets fixed for 1.4 too...

there might also be workarounds that apply to your specific case... but it's hard to say more about it, without seeing it...

utnik

hi ale

i didn't know that this has been fixed in 1.5 – great!

utnik