Font embedding

Previous topic - Next topic

StevoD

Is Scribus ever going to be able to embed and subset fonts like other DTP applications? Or does it have mostly to do with font licensing that makes things difficult?

When I was working with InDesign most of the documents I worked with were destined not only for print but for downloadable PDF versions that could be searched. So outlining fonts is not acceptable as it makes PDF unsearchable and makes for a rather unnecessary large file size.

There have only been a few fonts I have found to work with that have been able to be embedded. So far I have been able to use Acrobat to embed and subset the fonts in PDFs created from Scribus but I'm not sure that is going to be an option for me.

InDesign is no longer an option for me and so Scribus it is.

So I'm just wondering what is happening or what the plans are for better font handling in Scribus especially in regards to Open Type Fonts.

utnik

hi stevod

my .pdf files (created with scribus 1.4.3 on macOS 10.6.8 and 10.9.2) are searchable – it doesn't matter if i embed the whole font or a subset only.
i suspect, you manage your files in a very special workflow to make them unsearchable...

utnik

chirlu

Quote from: StevoD on March 06, 2014, 03:15:49 AM
So I'm just wondering what is happening or what the plans are for better font handling in Scribus especially in regards to Open Type Fonts.

OpenType fonts are not embeddable. There are two feature request tickets from 2006 (0004562 for CFF outlines, 0004564 for TrueType outlines), but it doesn't appear as if someone was working actively on them.

StevoD

OpenType fonts are not embeddable. There are two feature request tickets from 2006 (0004562 for CFF outlines, 0004564 for TrueType outlines), but it doesn't appear as if someone was working actively on them.
[/quote]

You must mean OpenType fonts are not embeddable in Scribus. At least at this time.

chirlu

Quote from: StevoD on March 06, 2014, 04:28:35 PM
You must mean OpenType fonts are not embeddable in Scribus. At least at this time.

Yes, that's what I wanted to say.

StevoD

I remembered that there are font settings in the Preferences so I went in and started playing around with the Embed in Postscript and Subset checkboxes for a few of the fonts I was using in my document.

As long as the Subset checkbox is NOT checked then the fonts will be embedded. If the Subset checkbox is checked then when I open the Save As PDF dialog and go to the Fonts tab the fonts get added to the Fonts to outline section. It doesn't even matter if the Embed in Postscript checkbox is not checked and only the Subset checkbox is checked the fonts will not be embedded but will be outlined unless I remove them from the Fonts to outline section all together.

Oddly enough one of the three fonts I am using in this test is an OTF font which says it will be embedded in the Fonts to embed section of the Fonts tab in the Save as PDF dialog but when I open the PDF in Acrobat and check to see what is going on with fonts it says the OFT font is a TTF.

So it appears that fonts can be embedded in a PDF but not subset.

By the way the size of the PDF with fonts embedded is 451KB. If I take the same document where none of the fonts are embedded and use an Action in Acrobat to embed and subset the fonts I get a file size of 35KB.