Bleeding for Masterpages

Previous topic - Next topic

mmmm_cake

I'm using Scribus for the first time to make a PDF which I'll then print with Blurb.  On Blurb's PDF to Book specifications page, they say that pages shouldn't have bleed space on their inner edges, which means that odd and even pages will not have bleed space on the left and right sides, respectively.  I set up two masterpages for odd and even pages and set the margins easily, but I haven't been able to find any way to set bleed for individual pages.  Is there any way to do that?  More importantly, does anyone have any experience using Scribus with Blurb and can share some of the wisdom they've gained?  Thanks in advance!

utnik

hi cookie

you should set up your file as a double sided layout – here you can set different bleeds for inside, outside, top and bottom...

utnik

mmmm_cake

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still having trouble.  Double sided layout does make it easier to make distinctions between left and right pages, but I still don't know where to set bleed space.  While editing a masterpage, I can go to Page > Manage Page Properties... to set margins, but I don't see anything about bleeds.

Meanwhile, the other part of my original post still stands.  If anyone reading this has any experiences using Scribus to publish a book with Blurb, please let me know about your experience.  Any bits of advice would be greatly appreciated!

utnik

try it with 'file' → 'document setup' → 'document' → 'bleeds' (or at the same place while you create a new file) – with a double sided layout you can define different bleeds for the inner and outer edge.

i don't have any experience with blurb – so i have to skip this part.

utnik

Nermander

To clarify: You don't set bleed for master pages, bleed is set for the document.

mmmm_cake

Got it.  I didn't realize that if I just set it to be a double sided document, the settings would change from left and right to inside and outside.  As usual, the reality is a lot simpler than what I had in my head.  :)  Thanks for your help!